PDA

View Full Version : Can Health Anxiety Cause Numbness?

wanthelp485
16-05-12, 22:28
Hello,

For the past several months, I have a back issue. I have a past history of health anxiety since 2008, in which my sister got a blood clot, and I was absolutely convinced that I had one as well. Since then, I have been convinced of various things, but have gone on medication for it, and it helped.

I am almost completely convinced that I have something called "cauda equina syndrome"... which is defined as a rare condition that is usually caused by trauma to the low back, and which causes bowel incontinence, saddle anesthesia, genital numbness and gait trouble (or even loss of leg function).

I was in the hospital for this back in March. They ran 4 MRIs and found nothing. Yet, I am still mostly convinced that I have it.

I do have numbness in my genital, anal and perineal areas... and also have difficulty sensing the urge to urinate (only sometimes). But lately, the numbness has been getting worse (it isn't complete numbness... it is like I am wearing 3 layers of clothes or something, and then some of the muscles are unable to be felt when flexed.)

I do not however have loss of leg or bowel function - but am kind of "waiting" for that, since I am convinced I have that condition.

So, my question is - is it the chicken or the egg? Is the numbness caused by the condition, or does anyone think that this numbness could be caused by my anxiety and knowing that these are the symptoms of that condition?

Thanks!

Bailey2001
17-05-12, 09:35
anixety can cause alot of symptoms..i know when i was going through a bad bad time, i was getting pins and needles in my hands and all sorts of tingle/numbness in the downstairs department. I found not googling things helped as half the time you can make your symptoms fit around any serious condition.

Sounds to be that this is all due to you worrying, but if in doubt, just have a word with your GP...they will reassure you :)