PDA

View Full Version : just saying hi! I have some odd 'panic triggers'

Fabmum
17-05-12, 09:37
Hi all, I have found this site as I am sick to death of my stupid and irrational anxiety triggers and I want to get over them! With your help/support I am hoping I can :) as they are not life altering inasmuch as I can avoid them but I don;t want to go on avoiding the things that could bring me so much pleasure and freedom iyswim :wacko:. Firstly I have a massive, massive phobia/fear/anxiety about driving on long open roads, ie motorways, dual carriageways etc. This has stopped me from getting about with my chilren unless we go by train. My other anxiety, and this is odd......is that I am desperate for a puppy to join our family but I had one a year or so ago and it brought the most enormous amount of anxiety to me. Insomnia, panic attacks, crying, loss of appetite, overwhelming feelings of losing the plot completely etc. I want to get a dog, we need a dog in our lives but I cannot stop reffering to this horrid time. I have a very traumatic life story so I know this has contributed but how do I fix myself. sorry it's so long! Thanks for continuing to read....:)

dottielottie
17-05-12, 09:45
Your not alone I got a puppy 2 years ago and my anxiety got worse cant explain why x :welcome::hugs:

nomorepanic
17-05-12, 09:47
Hi Fabmum

We just wanted to welcome you aboard to NMP. We hope you enjoy your stay here and get all the support and advice you need.

Please take some time to read the website articles on the left as well for loads of advice and tips.

Pinkcasi
17-05-12, 09:49
Hello and :welcome: im sure you'll find a lot of us on here can relate, are you currently on Med's / having treatment? perhaps you could gently get yourself used to a dog, you could volenteer to walk then for a local shelter or something (they do that right?) or get an older dog that's not as hectic as puppy.

Anyway all the best :flowers:

Fabmum
17-05-12, 11:43
HI ALL, no not on any meds. I don't feel they are necessary for me right now. i was prescribed citilopram a year ago but I didn't take them as I sought counselling instead for my chronic anxiety issues which really helped. It is always underlying though. I can feel it bubbling and it is the background to my days :weep:. I hate it. I can distract myself from it and it does go away but I am so afraid that it will never completely go. Can it completely go?!:unsure:

Jezza
17-05-12, 11:47
Hi Fabmum,
I am new too and have severe anxiety also, it takes over my life. I also have a history of traumatic events and it is a daily battle to live with. In addition I am terrified of motorway driving (I'm so embarassed few people realise) yet i drive round local town etc. I am scared of flying also and many other things! Anyway I hope you find lots of help here and advice :) xx

Want_to_break_free
17-05-12, 13:12
I have similar feelings. I feel extremely anxious when walking past people convinced that they're staring at me ... I have to have my mobile phone with me which I promoptly pull out...it's like a security blanket!!