PDA

View Full Version : Hello! I'm new and still a bit scared....

Michelle2102
17-05-12, 17:14
Thought I'd share my experience....

Three weeks ago, completely out of the blue, I freaked out in my car on my way to work. My arms went numb my legs felt heavy, I felt breathless, scared and my palms were sweaty. When I got home I felt 'drunk' for about an hour. I called the doctor and she told me it looked like anxiety. I've never been a particulalry anxious person and I've never experienced anything like this before. It came on very quickly and it has floored me.

Since then, Ive been off work (my employer is being very supportive although I do worry myself witless about not being well enough to go back and not being able to pay the mortgage - my anxiety is my anxiety now!) Most days I've had an episode, of varying intensity, often starting in the early hours. I've been terrified, thought i'm going mad, been frightened of myself, felt the intense adrenalin rushes, thought I was dying, been frightened to leave the house, cried buckets, etc,.

I started on 10mg Citalopram two weeks ago and increased to 20mg last night with Lorazepam as a back up. I feel I'm worse today but reading the threads that seems normal after a dose increase.

I've become obsessed with googling my symptoms and side effects (big mistake!) but I've also taken comfort from the many stories I've read too. I'm normally a silver lining sort of girl!
:blush:
It is so reassuring to know that you're not alone because in the middle of the night, you so often feel that you are. So that's why I've joined...Hope you don't mind my ramblings....and my desperate calls when i'm having a bad one...

Thanks

M

nomorepanic
17-05-12, 17:25
Hi Michelle2102

We just wanted to welcome you aboard to NMP. We hope you enjoy your stay here and get all the support and advice you need.

Please take some time to read the website articles on the left as well for loads of advice and tips.

BobbyDog
17-05-12, 18:22
Hi Michelle,
I think all who suffer from anxiety/panic can relate to your experiences and it is difficult.
Hopefully you will start to feel the benefits from your Citalopram soon.

Welcome:welcome:

wlizzie
17-05-12, 18:24
hi michelle,
:welcome: i was the same as about 3 months ago my arm went numb for no reason , since then iv had many other symptoms and tests and when it all got to much for me 4 weeks ago i was put on 20mg of citalopram, so far the only thing found wrong with me is anxiety,severe depression, and iv had some quite horriblle side effects from meds but im really starting to feel better these last few days.
So stick with it and keep posting this site has really helped me aswell.
Take care :hugs:

Michelle2102
17-05-12, 21:14
Thanks for the welcome everyone. I already feel better for being part of this.
:)

Pipkin
17-05-12, 21:19
Hi Michelle and :welcome:!

You're definitely not alone! Join in with some of the active threads that you can relate to and you'll soon find there are people here who are happy to listen and give support. I'm sure you'll be a comfort to others too.

Take care

Pip xx

rockydog
17-05-12, 21:30
Hey, mine came suddenly as well, one minute sitting in a restaurant, the next having an over whelming feeling rush through me. My heart then started to race and i felt like i was dropping as if falling to sleep and i had the drunk feeling. I was taken home and wasn't sure what happened to me, tried to dissmiss it and later went shopping. The same thing happened again and i felt that i was losing consciousness although standing up. Very scary !
I then went on to wake in the night feeling dreadful and had weak legs and was shaking.
The doctor also said anxiety and i was just left scared of my symptoms and anxiety more than anything else. x

kittikat
17-05-12, 22:07
Hi Michelle & :welcome:

You certainly are not alone here, you will get lots of support and advice from the lovey people on this site. I have been exactly where you are now myself and I have found much comfort from being part of this community. I hope it's the same for you.

Kitti :)

Klonoa
18-05-12, 01:11
Hi Michelle,

Hope you get some peace with your medication changes soon! It will be worth it :)

Hope things get easier for you soon ^^

Aussiebob
18-05-12, 03:07
Hi Michelle:
As you have seen, there are a lot of people here with similar stories. I'm one of the lucky ones I guess. Sorta the same experience has Rockydog (above) had.
Found this site yesterday, and it relaxed me quite a bit. Got a good nights sleep without any medication. This morning was not quite perfect, still a bit weary from what I imagine is putting my adrenal glands through a workout with all the anxiety I was experiencing about my health for about 10 days.
But.........big improvement since being aware it's a mind of matter thing. Still have appointment with doctor next week to to be safe, but really the symptoms have all but disappeared.
I'm sure you'll improve. Listen to some good Itunes radio station while you're reading these post and it might relax you more.
Cheers,

waunder
18-05-12, 06:35
I am up at nights with insomnia from anxiety and depression, haven't figured out how to connect with people on active threads yet but I will figure it out and maybe we will chat there.

Michelle2102
18-05-12, 11:11
Hey, mine came suddenly as well, one minute sitting in a restaurant, the next having an over whelming feeling rush through me. My heart then started to race and i felt like i was dropping as if falling to sleep and i had the drunk feeling. I was taken home and wasn't sure what happened to me, tried to dissmiss it and later went shopping. The same thing happened again and i felt that i was losing consciousness although standing up. Very scary !
I then went on to wake in the night feeling dreadful and had weak legs and was shaking.
The doctor also said anxiety and i was just left scared of my symptoms and anxiety more than anything else. x

Hi Rockydog!
I get what you are saying completely. It is really alarming isn't it?! the fear of the anxiety has left me too scared,tired, sometimes a little zombified to go back to work and I love my job! (Ive been off 3 weeks and I'm desperate to get back)

This morning was odd/different. I took my 14th dose of citalopram last night (second night on 20mg) and 1mg Lorazepam and slept like a baby! Within half an hour of waking I started to get anxious so got up to have a shower. Completely freaked out in the shower then felt an overwhelming calm and I went back to bed for an hour. It was actually quite nice! I'm hoping this is the meds starting to work. I still have quite bad nausea though and Ive lost some weight.

How are you doing now? Is your anxiety stopping you getting on with normal life?

M

rockydog
18-05-12, 12:47
Hi there, mine started in October and i tried to carry on until december just managing. I work in a school so was then off for a few weeks for Christmas holidays. I thought i would be able to carry on at work, but that wasn't to be. I had to go on sick leave, but didn't want to take medication so have probably made it last longer than it would have.
I am now taking pregablin for fibromyalgia and anxiety this has only been for a week. I have very slowly got better and go several days with nothing, then out of the blue wake up feeling dreadful. I don't seem to be able to link to anything in particular it just happens. My recovery had been delayed by a bereavment so it is a little complicated. x