PDA

View Full Version : low ferritin/anxiety

toria
17-05-12, 21:58
Hi just after a bit of advice I had a blood test about 2 months ago as i was feeling breathless and they thought i might be aneamic it came back
my ferritin was quite low so they put me on iron tabs i started to feel so much better more energy not as tired and not as breathless so i stupidly dropped from taking 3 daily to just 1 as I was feeling better but now i have the breathless feeling back and i dont know if it is just anxiety making me feel like i can't get enough air, I have felt quite anxious latley , or because i wasnt taking enough iron i am now back on 3 daily and due for a blood test in a few weeks time. just woundered if any one else had the samething and if any advice thanks toria xx

stressybessy
17-05-12, 22:09
Hi, I am also on iron tabs for low ferratin, I am taking Fersaday tablets, they are 100mg. Have been taking them since February and my iron levels are now up to 'borderline' as opposed to extremely low. My doc has told me to double the dose for another couple of months for an extra boost. Apparantly it takes ages to replenish the iron stores so maybe you just came off the tablets too quickly.

toria
17-05-12, 22:27
Hi thanks for the reply, You are right I think I did stop them to quickly They did give me 3 months worth of iron tabs so i should of taken them all its my own fault I dont like taking tablets.Did you feel breathless as well or just no energy and tiredness.toria xx

angel34
18-05-12, 11:51
Hi, I also reduced my iron from 3 to 1, Ive been anaemic since I had my baby 7mths ago, I quicky became tired, breathless and achy joints for some reason, my blood results showed that my ferritin levels dropped very quickly because of this :blush: I reduced them thinking I was feeling better, they also started giving me abdo pains, reflux etc. My Dr gave me stomach tablets to help this. So now Im being good and taking them as I should hoping on better levels at next lot of blood tests. Hopefully your levels will be back to normal very soon....keep taking those tablets :D

stressybessy
18-05-12, 16:04
Yes I did feel breathless going upstairs and lightheaded at various times of the day, and really really tired, kept falling asleep at every opportunity.

xfilme
22-05-12, 02:44
I had low ferritin and was put on iron tablets. Its worth noting that the ferritin levels indicate the iron stores in your body. When you take the iron tablets, firstly it takes any requirements needed for energy levels, and after that it takes a small percentage to put towards replenishing your iron stores. Taking other medications can also slow this process, as can alcohol and caffeine etc. So dont think of iron tablets as a quick fix. Personally, it took my body a year and a half to replenish my iron stores/ferritin, so I would take them as prescribed, and make sure you have a diet rich in iron/vitamin b12, so that your food alone satisfies your energy levels. That way a larger percentage of the of the iron in the tablet will be absorbed into your system, getting you back to health faster. Another thing you can do is take vitamin c, as it speeds up the absorption from your iron tablets. If you want to know anything at all about iron deficiency and its symptoms, drop me a PM x

waunder
22-05-12, 07:07
I love that you brought up absorption X. This is a big issue. Especially with stomach problems. I went on digestive enzymes and pro biotics to bring my absorption and stomach back to life. They are natural products but worked wonders for me.

xfilme
22-05-12, 17:27
I love that you brought up absorption X. This is a big issue. Especially with stomach problems. I went on digestive enzymes and probiotics to bring my absorption and stomach back to life. They are natural products but worked wonders for me.

Im big on acidophilus and eat tons of live active culture yogurt. never under estimate the power of yogurt for its live bacteria to help improve digestion, and pineapple because it contains bromelain and breaks your food down.

I always choose natural over synthetic medication.

mummyanxious
27-02-14, 07:43
I know this is an oldish thread but wondered if the OP was still on your medication and which you had? I had ferris fumarate and it really messed with my tummy.

toria
27-02-14, 12:53
Hi mummyanxious, I am not on any medication at the minute just had a blood test cause of symptoms but came back fine do keep having periods of low ferritin,I was given ferrous fumarate and it was terrible on my stomach I managed a few weeks and had to get doctor's to change back to ferrous sulphate which I have always managed fine with no problems if you are having problems with them get doctor to change you mine did no problem, hope that helps toria x

mummyanxious
27-02-14, 13:04
Well I have had differing opinion. One dr said it needed a top up at 25 (low end of normal) and all the rest have said its fine and I don't need to do anything about it. So I'm confused.

LE
27-02-14, 13:26
I think different people are symptomatic at different levels. My ferritin was 23 and I had symptoms which was what took me to the doc in the first place. I got it up to 40 by changing my diet and I did feel better. I was post Partum and breastfeeding so had not had a period. My period is now back and I am feeling symptoms so I'm thinking of getting the ferritin checked again.

I did read somewhere that optimal level is 70 or something... But don't quote me on this.

mummyanxious
27-02-14, 13:42
I think I was told if I could get up into the 40s it would be good. One dr told me that most menstruating women would have low stores so not to worry. One packet of tablets only got me up one point before so its a very long process it seems. But even that one packet I felt better (apart from the bad tummy). So I thought I should too up again but my tummy just can't handle the side effects.

---------- Post added at 13:42 ---------- Previous post was at 13:41 ----------

I've had two children, fairly close together. Breast fed both, extended periods. I did have my periods back straight away with the second though. But I think it's messed my hormones and vitamin levels right up.

LE
27-02-14, 14:29
I did not have a period the whole time I breastfeeding my daughter 11 months.

I'm still feeding my son who is 11 months and I've had my period back (very heavy) for about 4 months :(
So not only am I losing vitamins, iron via feeding but now also throughy period! I think I'm going to get ferritin tested again as I'm feeling tired a lot again.

Tessar
01-03-14, 21:37
If your iron levels r low is well make u feel tired. Your body can't function properly with out enough iron. So u can get more out if breath and feel worse generally. It will affect u physically as well as psychologically. And yes definitely finish the dull course of iron tablets prescribed otherwise they won't have enough time 2 do their job before u stop taking them. Don't forget as well to take a proper look at your diet. Look up iron rich foods and make sure u get plenty if them now and in the future as this will be very important.
I ended up anaemic twice in2 yrs (because if heavy, frequent periods)& didn't realise (til i asked my dentist if it might have caused me to have a sore tinge) that it affects all sorts if aspects of your well being, he also lectured me on making sure I looked after myself because it isn't good for me being anaemic. If I am honest I didn't really take it seriously till that point. So look after yourselves eh!??