PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety About a Family Reunion!

Missblondie
09-07-06, 15:20
Hi all,
I don't know if some of you remember, but last month I posted a topic 'bout This Reunion that my family is having. There are Over 20 people coming to my cottage, And my Cottage is Very small. Plus, I have to sleep with 9 kids. So far, Today Has sucked for me, I'm dealing with feelings of nervousness and some feelings that i down know what to call. I feel, like, My brain won't let me Stop thinking about how i'll do around 20-something people, And its driving me INSANE! I can't focus on anything but how i'll get through A week with a TON of people! Its making me more and more antsy, and if i don't let these feelings go, By the time the reunion comes (Its only in a few weeks) i'm going to be having panic attacks 24/7! I'm Very Overwhelmed at this point, and Very stressed. Sometimes i can't even sleep 'till 2:00 am, 'cause i can't get things off my mind. Please Help?

-Elle
<center> "If I just Breathe, every little piece of me, You'll see, everything is all right." </center>

carlin
09-07-06, 15:32
Hi there, Am sorry you feel so awful, most people would be anxious about having that many guests for that length of time, even if they didn't suffer with anxiety. Firstly, do any family members know how you are feeling? If not, confide in a few (if poss), i have found the more people i explain my 'problems' to, the more offers of help i get. No-one expects you to do all of the hard work, they will all muck in, there is enough of them to keep each other occupied if you have to take a break, write down everything that needs doing/shopping/rooms organised that kind of thing beforehand, and do not be scared or ashamed to ask for help - that's what families are for. You will not panic 24/7...speak soon xxxx

Missblondie
09-07-06, 16:10
<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">Hi there, Am sorry you feel so awful, most people would be anxious about having that many guests for that length of time, even if they didn't suffer with anxiety. Firstly, do any family members know how you are feeling? If not, confide in a few (if poss), i have found the more people i explain my 'problems' to, the more offers of help i get. No-one expects you to do all of the hard work, they will all muck in, there is enough of them to keep each other occupied if you have to take a break, write down everything that needs doing/shopping/rooms organised that kind of thing beforehand, and do not be scared or ashamed to ask for help - that's what families are for. You will not panic 24/7...speak soon xxxx

<div align="right">Originally posted by carlin - 09 July 2006 : 15:32:30</div id="right">
</td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">

Thank you, Carlin, for the positive words!
Yes, I Do have a family member that understands deeply, and that has helped me a lot in the past, my mom! And i have talked to her about my nervousness and worrys. But these feelings seem to have come out of the blue today, and it looks like i'm the one who has to stop them and deal with them. I Just don't know what to do with the feelings of not being able to think of anything else but what i'm nervous about, i feel like i just want to crawl in a dark corner and stay there all day! Its like my brain can't calm down. I know i just need space and to de-stress, But What if this feeling comes up when the reunion is here? I'd probably need to take a day off from the family.

-Elle
<center> "If I just Breathe, every little piece of me, You'll see, everything is all right." </center>

carlin
09-07-06, 16:22
Hi again, let's deal with today first. Now, make sure you have eaten a little today and drank plenty of water....put some music on, watch a dvd, run a nice bath, take a shower, read some mags, tidy your place, absolutely anything to distract you. These feelings will fade, and they are just that, feelings, they can't or won't hurt you. Ring mum if you fancy a chat? she will not mind. The thought of the re-union is making you stressed, every time you think of it you panic and think what if i get like this at the time. You will probably be so occupied at the time, you won't have a chance to think about yourself? You will probably need to sleep for a week afterwards!! if the worse does happen at the re-union, take some time out, mum will be there, no-one will think badly of you, by the sounds of it, they will all be having a right old natter!!! I can promise you will survive today and the reunion, take care and keep in touch, and give mum a ring!! xxxx

Missblondie
09-07-06, 16:48
<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">Hi again, let's deal with today first. Now, make sure you have eaten a little today and drank plenty of water....put some music on, watch a dvd, run a nice bath, take a shower, read some mags, tidy your place, absolutely anything to distract you. These feelings will fade, and they are just that, feelings, they can't or won't hurt you. Ring mum if you fancy a chat? she will not mind. The thought of the re-union is making you stressed, every time you think of it you panic and think what if i get like this at the time. You will probably be so occupied at the time, you won't have a chance to think about yourself? You will probably need to sleep for a week afterwards!! if the worse does happen at the re-union, take some time out, mum will be there, no-one will think badly of you, by the sounds of it, they will all be having a right old natter!!! I can promise you will survive today and the reunion, take care and keep in touch, and give mum a ring!! xxxx

<div align="right">Originally posted by carlin - 09 July 2006 : 16:22:22</div id="right">
</td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">
You are totally Right, I am acting silly and should not worry about the future. Thank you so much! I Feel Better! And so what if i feel bad during the reunion? My mom is there to help me, and i can just relax and focus on keeping my mind on other things. Thank you again. xoxoxo

-Elle