PDA

View Full Version : coping without medication/self help?

Jenwales
18-05-12, 09:09
My doctor has told me I don't need to take atenolol all the time(25 mg), when I need to/ when I'm out. I've been taking it for about three weeks. I dont really want ot take it anymore as it makes me tired. But I am afraid not to, thinking it will bring a huge surge of anxiety.
I want to help myself and go back to a calm state of mind but i dont know what to do. im triyng yoga and mediatation-early days yet.
i've been feeling so venerable lately, everything seems like such hard work- atenolol makes me feel like im climbing mountains im so tired sometimes.

I just feel like it's too hard helping myself and I can't do it/ want ot give up. I'm not suicidal. Sometimes I'm fine but I guess I worry and thinking about anxiety makes me anxious.
I don't know what to do. I went to the doctors for help but they just gave me atenolol and more stress.

I havn't really got anyone to talk to. My boyfriend doesn't understand, part of me wishes he'd look into it. He's not a serious person and unless I'm crying or quiet- I can't cry in front of people- he won't think anythings wrong and i cant talk about things.

Anyway I dont want ot ramble on. Thanks for reading, any advice welcome. Just please dont' make/help me worry about atenolol.

Rach29
18-05-12, 09:24
hi im trying to beat this without meds and its hard but you cant give up coz its only ourselves that can help us i have good and bad days more good than bad lately ive been trying to eat properly not successful most days haha a good nights sleep does you good and you should really talk to your boyfriend or someone else you trust it helps also when your feeling bad write about it i usually feel better when i do that but most important you have to believe theres nothing wrong your fine its just anxiety and that cant harm you and carry on what your doing its really all about what you tell yourself if your goin to think bad things it makes it worse that how i started helping myself anyway it took a while for those things to work for me but it seems too hope this helps a bit and your feeling better soon x

flossie
18-05-12, 10:10
Hi Jen. I am sorry that you are going through such a hard time at the moment and it is something that all of us here will relate to.
It sounds as if you feel that you need someone to talk to so that you can express all the thoughts and doubts you are struggling with. Have a look at the wesites of NoPanic and AnxietyUK. Both organisations have telephone helplines which are staffed by volunteers who have experienced the same problems we are going through ourselves so they won't judge and will understand. I have called the no panic helpline myself so have no hesitation in recommending them.
Both NoPanic and AnxietyUK have resources to help anxiety sufferers completely indepedently from the nhs so that may be something you would consider too.
Don't forget to drop into the chatroom sometime. We are all going through our own battles so you are not on your own.