PDA

View Full Version : AHHH!! I need help!

Brownie
19-05-04, 20:18
Hi everyone,
My panic and anxiety had come back this past Novemeber after many many years and I was going crazy for a while in the beginning then slowly started to feel a bit better while still having a lot of anxiety it wasnt that bad. Well last week my anxiety was crazy! my breathing was terrible and I then I started to get attacks again and i cant handle it! they seem to be getting worse and i was doing good for a while! I just feel like i am going crazy now and that it is never going to stop! I feel like some sort of basketcase that should be in a damn mental institution! I just dont know what to do anymore! I cant sleep at night and i can barely function during the day. Can anyone help me here i am just feeling awful and dont know what to do!
-Christtie:(

silentcalligraph
19-05-04, 21:01
I've been through the same last year after a long period without too much problems. And I know it has happened to other people here as well. It's so tough but hang in there it will get better. We are not helpless in the face of fear. There are tons of good advice here and I'm sure you have developed your own coping skills. Is there something that has helped you on prior occasions you might have not tried yet? Have you talked to a doc already? Anyhow first things first - even in the middle of this chaos be gentle to yourself, this is just another relapse and it will pass. You're not a basketcase - you're somebody who suffers from panic-attacks. When I can't barely handle it anymore I try to do something that requires a lot of attention and will distract me. For me that's playing with patience cards, forcussing on the cards I'm losing the focus on panicking. Jigsaw puzzles have the same effect. Whilst this is just a short-time strategy it brings some relief - sometimes it brings even much needed sleep. Not sure that was helpful. But keep in mind you're not alone, here are people who know how you feel and who will listen.

sadie
19-05-04, 21:02
Hi Christie,

Firstly, I am sorry that you have been feeling panicky again after managing to cope with it for awhile. However, this is only a small set-back which can be overcome. You are definetly not a 'basketcase' and you are not going crazy either. Its just anxiety thats casuing you to feel this way but these feelings will pass eventually.

What you have to ask yourself is what has caused you to feel panicky again? Has something happened in your life etc to stress you out?

I myself have felt pretty panic free but with some minor background anxiety for a few months recently. However over the last week or so I have gradually felt myself slipping back into panic mode. However, for me I know its due to something in my life which I am not coping too well with which has brought these feelings back and the only way for me to feel better is to change the way I cope with this or try and sort out the problem completely...both options are not the easiest things to do.

I think its important for you to get a good nights sleep so either buy some herbal sleeping tablets to help with this or go and speak to your gp. If you dont get a good nights rest then you will definetly feel more panicky throughout the day which makes eveything worse.

Secondly, what do you do for relaxation....try some deep breathing to begin with, maybe listen to a nice relaxing CD in bed. Or maybe a nice relaxing bath with some candles and just clear your mind.

Have you ever thought about some CBT or counselling or something to help you cope with your anxiety? Maybve go and discuss how you are feeling with your gp and see what they can do for you.

I myself have had cognitive therapy which was good but I had to give it up at the time as I changed job and no longer had private health care, so I didnt finish the course. However, since then I am seeing a kinesiologist which is helping me loads.
I have posted about this therapy before so have a search and read about it and see what you think. Its maybe another option for you!

Remember we all understand how you feel and we are all here to help you when you need it. Read all the information on the home page of this forum as there is lots of helpful hints on how to cope with anxiety. But you definetly aren't going crazy and there is light at the end of the tunnel for us all.

Keep in touch and take care.

sadie

Meg
19-05-04, 21:15
Hi Christie,

Start back at the beginning.

If you really don't know whats set you off check how you're treating yourself. Read First Steps and even review your diet.

You didn't go crazy last time , you won't be going crazy this time.

You said you're on xanax xr. If you've been on it a while then it could be tolerence setting in.

With your breathing ensure its a longer breath out than in and do remember that your lungs expand thus needing more air to fill them so you're not really short of breath.

Exercise really helps at this stage.

Keep in touch.

Meg

'There can only be true courage when first there is genuine fear'

Dr.David Livingstone

imported_n/a
19-05-04, 21:30
hey christte,,how long have you had the anxiety,,just keep thinking back to when you were feeling good and hey we are all crazy in here so you are not on your own LOL,,please do try and chill a little this will soon pass and im sure you will soon be posting about how good you are feeling again ,,hey chin up ok,,xxdarrenxx

""HAPPINESS IS ALWAYS THERE UNDERNEATH THE ANGER AND DESPAIR""

seh1980
24-05-04, 21:19
Hi Christie,

I know excactly how you are feeling. At times, I think my anxiety has completely gone and then suddenly it's back without a warning. It sounds like you are having a really hard time. Maybe you would find it useful to do some relaxation exercises...I always find that they help me in times of high anxiety.
Let us know how you are getting on.
Take care.
Sarah (seh1980)

diana
26-05-04, 00:01
Hiya Christie,

I do hope things are a bit better for you now.

It is very hard to have these symptoms creep back on us when we have been well for awhile, but they too will pass as they have in the past.

You are not going crazy dear, and no you should`nt be in a d**n institution.

I know I have had those same feelings at times, and every time I overcome them till something else in my life occurs.

You are not alone sweetie. We are all here for you to support, advise and give suggestions as you need them. :)

Try to relax and calm down a bit if you can, and try some breathing exercises to help relax yourself.

I hope you have been able to get some much needed rest and have been able to sort things out.

Keep us updated on how things are going for you dear.

There are alot of good suggestions above, try some of them won`t you?

Take care sweetie,

Love Diana xoxoxo