PDA

View Full Version : Trimethoprim and IBS

PinkRoxy
20-05-12, 05:24
I have currently been put on the antibiotic trimethoprim by my doctor and I have been finding it to really upset my IBS symptoms.

Ive been feeling sick, having diarrhoea and just having back pains and I am so positive its the antibiotic.

Has anyone else had this happen being on antibiotics?

grotbags
20-05-12, 18:07
Hi, I took trimethoprim at a low dose for several years and it seemed to trigger some stomach issues for me. I think it's what started my ibs symptoms. Any antibiotic kills off good bacteria as well as bad, and obviously in the gut we have quite a delicate balance of bacteria which gets (usually temporarily?) disturbed by taking antibiotics. This is why people use acidophilus when they're on antibiotics and for a short while afterwards.

Have you tried taking an acidophilus supplement, using probiotics/yakult or eating live yogurt?

suzy-sue
20-05-12, 18:18
Im allergic to Trimethorprim,it makes me physically sick and I cant keep it down ..Ive also had stomach and bowel issues on other Antibiotics ,its a common s/e Live Yoghurt does HELP REBALANCE THE GOOD BACTERIA NEEDED IN THE GUT .Ive never tried Acidophilus ..Sue

PinkRoxy
21-05-12, 07:58
Thanks. Yeah the antibiotic is really taking it out of me. I got some stuff from the chemist called antibiotic support and I have to keep the capsules in the fridge so hopefully they will work.

hyg
21-05-12, 21:50
Hi
Trimethoprim is a horrible drug-it belongs to the old sulphur group of antibiotics and the main side effects are GI disturbances. I had it a couple of times for UTI and it made me feel really ill and gave me heart palps. I just tell the GPs Im allergic to Sulpher drugs and they dont give it to me. Also Its not used a lot now for UTI in England as a lot of bugs have resistant strains to it. Hope you feel better soon x

PinkRoxy
22-05-12, 08:00
Oh ok I got the antibiotic for a bladder infection. I dont know if Ive used it before as I never use to take note of what antibiotics I took, but I probably have done.