PDA

View Full Version : what do others think of this?

musicisgood
09-07-06, 21:06
Hospital 'time waster' files used to flag up repeat A&E attendersDocument Actions Two of Scotland's busiest A&E departments are compiling lists of regular attenders in a bid to cut the number of patients who turn up for unnecessary treatment. Managers at the Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh and Raigmore Hospital in Inverness have admitted they are using 'frequent attenders' files to "flag up" patients who visit emergency wards on a regular basis.
Although health bosses insist the lists are used to help staff assess patients more efficiently, they have sparked concern that patients who appear on the lists will receive poorer care as they may be considered a nuisance.
Critics also believe that the files will be used to weed out the "worried well" who attend accident and emergency wards for minor ailments instead of waiting to see their GPs.
Dr David Steedman, clinical lead in accident and emergency at the Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh, confirmed that the hospital had around 100 frequent attenders on its files.
But he insisted the files helped staff give a better service to patients who regularly attended his department by giving doctors instant access to their medical records.
He said: "This is a positive benefit for these patients. Every patient who attends A&E is seen and reviewed by highly qualified staff and appropriate treatment given."
Among those who appear on the files are patients who suffer domestic abuse and need emergency treatment for their injuries, and patients suffering from long-term illnesses such as kidney disease.
In these cases, medical professionals claim the lists can help identify patients who require special attention before having to carry out an initial examination. But health service sources say that these patients only make up a "few" of the names on the lists.
The files also include names of patients who regularly attend for less pressing needs and patients who are often brought in drunk and turn violent, providing staff with a valuable early warning system.
Health bosses have previously expressed concern at the growing numbers of "worried well" who turn up at A&E out of hours rather than waiting to see their GPs. They have said that in these cases staff can use the lists to identify patients who require "support" such as social work or psychiatric assistance to help stop them returning.
Dr Bill Morrison, an A&E consultant at Ninewells Hospital in Dundee, which does not use frequent attender files, said: "There is a problem with patients who frequently attend emergency departments when they should be going to see their GPs. These files can help to alert staff of a potential problem with a patient, particularly with patients who have behavioural problems or have suffered a history of abuse."
One leading A&E consultant said: "I don't see a need for these kind of files. All patients should be dealt with the same level of care regardless of whether they are regular attenders.
"If staff use these notes as a shortcut then things can be missed."
NHS Highland failed to comment.
[Source: Scotland on Sunday]
Created by bigkev
Last modified 24-04-2006 10:19

nomorepanic
09-07-06, 21:10
I agree with this ...

"I don't see a need for these kind of files. All patients should be dealt with the same level of care regardless of whether they are regular attenders."

Nicola

Ammeg
09-07-06, 21:11
ummmm mayb im just to dull to get wot this is on about!! could someone maybe write the gist of it for me!! Is it on about not seein people who dont need it or sayin everyone should be seen whether ill or not????
Please help me- its to much for me iccle brain!! lol
Ammeg

musicisgood
09-07-06, 21:12
I agree with you Nicola. NHS Direct send people to A+E - i have been sent a few times due to my ongoing physical conditions

musicisgood
09-07-06, 21:13
They are saying that some people go unncessarily and are a nuisance (eg drunks)

nomorepanic
09-07-06, 21:17
Well we pay enough for the care so we should get it regardless!!

No-one should be classed as a nuisance.

Mind you I have been in A&E when the drunks have been in and they get very absuive towards staff.

Nicola

polly daydream
09-07-06, 22:06
Yes I totally agree, everybody should be treated the same.

Polly