PDA

View Full Version : Success with Sertraline

erin31
20-05-12, 16:37
I have been on Sertraline for 4 weeks and the difference is amazing.
Only 4 weeks ago I could not get out of bed my depression and anxiety was so bad and yet today I have no depression and only a small amount of anxiety in the morning. I would put this anxiety at 1/10 whereas before it was 10/10.

I have had two different brands, Dr Reddy's and Accord which I found to be very much the same. I started with Dr Reddy's and for the first week my anxiety did not decrease at all although my depression started to decrease immediately. My anxiety started to decrease after 14 days and by day 22 I was feeling good.
I did have a very mild upset stomach for the first three days and also a small amount of hair loss but this was very small, simply a case of finding a few strands in the bath once I emptied it. I also found that when I first changed to Accord (two weeks into my treatment) I had difficulty sleeping for two nights.

I now sleep well at nights and wake up early each morning feeling bright and looking forward to the day.
I also have much more energy, walk my dogs twice a day, go to the gym, play tennis and meet up with friends for lunch. All these are things I could not even think about doing in the weeks before I started Sertraline.

I know some people have blips with this medication and I am not posting to show off but rather to give hope to those thinking of starting this med or those who are still waiting for it to take effect.

I started on 50mg and I was due to go up to 100mg after two weeks but am feeling so good that I have stayed on 50mg.

I had been on Effexor for years but had numerous awful side effects and I tried two other antidepressants without success before my GP changed me to Sertraline. I also tried many natural remedies, some did nothing and some helped a little but not enough. I found that although natural rememdies may work for a short time they soon stopped working.
I hope that Sertraline continues to work although I realise I may have to increase if the dark days return.

KK77
20-05-12, 17:04
Pleased sert has helped you Erin. It was exactly the same for me: tried loads of meds which on the whole didn't agree with me and had minimal effects on my depression until I switched to sert, which really changed the game. I've been on 100mg for a couple of years now and recently increased to 150mg. But after nearly 2 months, apart from a few additional side effects, I felt no difference whatsoever so reduced to 100mg again.

I think you're wise to stick to the lowest dose possible - and 50mg is supposed to be the recommended daily dose anyway.

chrisjay
10-07-12, 22:02
Good to know that this drugs works sometimes.
Best wishes,
Chris

Liz2012
22-07-12, 13:49
I agree - I was dubious at first as I just felt very tired and a bit sea sick, but after about a month the effects kicked in and I haven't felt this good for years. I have been taking it for four months now, only real side-effect is exessive sweating but I can live with that!
Good luck everyone.
Liz.