PDA

View Full Version : weakness.

zippy
20-05-12, 19:32
Does anyone get weakness/tingling/numbness in one side that lasts all day? My right arm and leg keep feeling weak and tingly and kind of numb feeling. I don't have panic attacks so i don't mean that they go weak during an attack but i seem to be getting this every day. My arm and leg don't feel like mine if you know what i mean. Can this be just anxiety because brain tumour keeps popping in my head and i don't want to start thinking that.

---------- Post added at 19:32 ---------- Previous post was at 18:14 ----------

Nobody else get this?

nicola1980
20-05-12, 19:36
I often get tingling in my right arm and hand, sort of feels like its a dead weight?? how did u get on at the docs? xx

zippy
20-05-12, 19:42
He said to wait 3 weeks to see if the abscess goes and if not i might have to get it cut. I gave him a list of my symptoms and told him i have had anxiety in the past and he said they all sounded like anxiety symptoms. I am sick of all the symptoms, aching all over one day, weak arm/leg another. I never feel ok.

zippy
21-05-12, 07:44
Does noboby else get this weakness because i am worried about all these symptoms. I feel about 90 years old. Everytime i tried to fall asleep last night i felt my head swimming and i felt like i was going to stop breathing. Every morning i get up my side and across my lower back hurt and feel stiff. I have m.e but i don't usually feel like this and i am starting to think i may have fibromyalgia too.

rockydog
21-05-12, 08:11
Hi i get a lot of these symptoms with fibromyalgia ..hope you are feeling a bit better. A bad nights sleep makes everything seem worse x

zippy
21-05-12, 09:08
The doctors mentioned fibromyalgia a couple of years ago when i was aching all over but then i havent had it again until now. I feel awful, feel like i can't breath properly and my right arm and leg feel weird and various muscles/joints are sore, fatigue, palpitations, headaches, off balance and my ibs has flared up as well. Its so hard knowing whats with m.e/fibro and anxiety because alot of the symptoms are the same. I can't understand why i feel like this when i have been feeling ok lately. Its hard to not think it's not anything serious like cancer but i know i have too many vague symptoms to be anything else.

Jenwales
21-05-12, 09:35
Yes
I had that for a few days at one point
was so scared i went ot the hospital, they coudlnt find anything wrong
then my gp at the time told me it was anxiety

Jules147
21-05-12, 09:45
Anxiety causes muscle weakness and tingling. Yes it can be just one arm. Also, tingling can be both feet, both hands, just one hand or one foot. A single finger, ANY finger or toe, can feel numb either at the tip or under the nail beds.

Anxiety is only sometimes symetrical.

zippy
21-05-12, 10:24
It's there all the time lately and all day they feel weaker than my left. I thought you only got numb/tingly limbs during a panic attack?

rockydog
21-05-12, 10:40
Are they really numb or just feeling dd because you are concentrating on them. I can think my hand is numb but can then hold cups with it or if i was to stick a pin in it, it wouldnt be numb... so therefore isnt numb lol But you can get these symptoms any time with anxiety, fibromyalgia and m.e are so similar it isnt important t know which you have as they are treated in the same way x

Jules147
21-05-12, 10:46
I
It's there all the time lately and all day they feel weaker than my left. I thought you only got numb/tingly limbs during a panic attack?

That isn't true. There is this thing called chronic hyperventilation. It is the result of being in a near-permanent anxious state.

If normal anxiety levels were, say, 3 out of 10, your background level as an anxiety sufferer is about 6 which is high enough to affect your breathing. 10 would be a full-blown panic attack.

You are likely habitually hyperventilating and this is causing the tingling and numbness in any of the following:

Hands, either or both
Feet, either or both
Any one finger or toe
Around your mouth, face or eyes
Chest, back, torso or neck.

I had what felt like permanent tingling and numbness in places for entire days.

Breathe in for 7 into your diaphragm not your thorax, i.e. breathe lower down, pause, breathe out for 11 through pursed lips, this is to slow down your rate of exhalation. Resist the urge to sneak in a quick extra breath between your long, slow and deep (but not too deep) breaths. Don't panic if this doesn't seem to work for you straight away. Practice makes perfect in breathing correctly and restoring the oxygen/CO2 balance in your bloodstream. You need to practise 7/11 breathing as described for three minutes three times a day and at any time when you either feel particularly anxious or when the opportunity presents itself, for example, when walking across Tesco car park, when driving or when in a queue.

Breathing exercises seem like a chore but with practice they will become a habit again and you will no longer have to do it consciously. As my CBT therapist said last year, "correct breathing should become the habit and worrying the chore, not the other way round."

zippy
21-05-12, 10:58
Thanks jules 147, i just worry when a symptom stays for days/weeks. My little finger on my right feels colder than the rest as well. I just don't feel right at all but i don't feel that anxious to be honest.
I will try the breathing technique.

Jules147
21-05-12, 11:09
Thanks jules 147, i just worry when a symptom stays for days/weeks. My little finger on my right feels colder than the rest as well. I just don't feel right at all but i don't feel that anxious to be honest.
I will try the breathing technique.

But your breathing is probably still wrong and I bet you are anxious, you've just got used to it. On a scale of 1 to 10 you should be at 3. I bet you are nearer 5 or 6. Panic attacks kick in at around 7 or 8 and take you up to 10 until they subside. It is all relative.

PS: when I said "for entire days" above, the days became weeks.