PDA

View Full Version : docs today scared he wont help me

smogie
21-05-12, 06:44
i have to go back to docs today and am worried he wont help me if i dont want the endoscopy he offered to put my cancer fears at rest but i really dont want this test as i would go under with the anxiety even the thought of it sets me off however i am scared that he will have nothing else to help me and i am really struggling at the moment my anxiety is becoming out of control am sat here shaking and crying and i have to drive to work soon please help:weep::weep::weep:

Anxious_gal
21-05-12, 07:20
So you have 3 choices:
1. Get the test and the results.
2. Don't get the test and worry.
3. Don't get the test and not worry.

I think you should get the test,If you think it's the only way to put your fears at rest.
Most of the anxiety and fear is anticipation,
You could take Seditives or I'm sure they'll will give you something to relax you or make you sleep .

What about the test scares you?

Knowlesi
21-05-12, 07:59
Smogie as Mishel has said you aren't really left with many options if you want to put your mind at rest. I have recently had a gastroscopy and yes it did increase my anxiety but that is only natural. The procedure itself is not as bad as you probably imagine and it is done in a matter of minutes. I was sedated and had the throat spray and although it was uncomfortable all the docs and nurses etc were very reassuring.

Get it done for your own peace of mind, once it is over you'll wonder what all the fuss was about!!

Good luck

Jules147
21-05-12, 09:59
What are the symptoms giving rise to the cancer fears?

Are they anxiety symptoms like indigestion, feeling nauseous/sick or cramps in your abdomen?

As you said, the doctor has offered an endoscopy to reassure you not because he wants to rule out cancer.

The problem with having lots of tests is you are craving certainty that you don't have some debilitating or life-threatening disease. The reassurance that comes from a negative result to each test is always short-lived because you are not getting to the root of the problem. Unless the doc does himself want to rule out cancer, which seems unlikely from what you say, I suggest you push for a referral for CBT. It will have lasting benefit unlike the endoscopy.

I had CBT. It does work, in my case a complete cure. You just have to complete all of the exercises and read everything they give you.

I was given this chart, have a look and study it for a few minutes:

http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/2658/imag0343lm.jpg

smogie
21-05-12, 13:57
thank you jules i think youre right if i had the test and it was okay how long until the next test and the next what i need is something to break the cycle i have had cbt in the past for panic attacks but not for health anxiety which is really bad now i had none of the symptoms before i got my blood tested and found out i was anaemic which sent me into a massive panic had a stoll test for blood which was negative and the doc told me to stop worrying it was simple anaemia but i cant get the thoughts to go away he mentioned the endoscopy if i didnt settle now i am scared to go back incase he has nothing else to offer me:weep:

Jules147
21-05-12, 14:07
You need CBT for health anxiety. In the meantime, here is some reading for you. I strongly advise that you purchase the book as I did:

http://www.veale.co.uk/resources-support/public-information/health-anxiety/

milicent
21-05-12, 14:08
Smogie must be horrible to be so anxious-when you say "in case he has nothing else to offer me " do you mean he might say it the endoscopy or nothing?
If you go and have it done then you will know one way or the other--you must go even for your own peace of mind

smogie
21-05-12, 14:12
thankyou i will have a look at it and post when i get back from the docs fingers crossed :wacko:

---------- Post added at 14:12 ---------- Previous post was at 14:09 ----------

yes millicent that is what i mean and believe me i really could not go for the endoscopy my anxiety is out of control and was even worse last week whilst waiting for the stool result i was a basket case and i think it would not be dealing with how i am its awful i feel damned if i do and damned if i dont

Jules147
21-05-12, 14:13
Smogie must be horrible to be so anxious-when you say "in case he has nothing else to offer me " do you mean he might say it the endoscopy or nothing?
If you go and have it done then you will know one way or the other--you must go even for your own peace of mind

.....until next time.

We know what the problem really is, don't we?

smogie
21-05-12, 19:14
hey my doctor was lovely he wasnt even interested in me having the test i had just got fixated on it he wants to see me agin next week when hopefully the meds will have started to have an effect and he is arranging for me to speak to a therapist at the surgery he also gave me lots of reassurance:) already feel a bit better knowing he is going to help me