PDA

View Full Version : Problems with 5-htp

Coconut
21-05-12, 10:12
I started taking 100mg of 5-htp on Friday for my anxiety/panic attacks. I took it at about 5pm. By about 9pm I felt really dehydrated and drank about 10 glasses of water. This made me feel so anxious and about 11pm i had a panic attack. I decided not to take another tablet on Saturday as my anxiety was very bad. On Saturday night I woke up at 4am and my heart was racing and i began to panic again. Is it possible for these to be side effects from just one capsual? Has anyone had similar side effects?

grotbags
22-05-12, 14:09
I have been taking 5htp for several years and I haven't experienced dehydration as a side effect.

When I took 300mg a day (I now take 100mg) I did notice that I had mild heart palpitations. Not a racing heart, but noticable heartbeat. It's possible that this is a side effect, but seems unlikely after just one tablet?

LCARTEL
24-06-12, 19:39
I had a positive feeling towards 5-HTP when I started taking at the start of 2011. Was in a very depressed mood at the time over a girl lol and I had suffered from Anxiety for years by this time. Started using the 5-HTP Holland and Barrett sells in the blue bottle and I guess I would say it worked as I felt great, my mood improved dramatically and I was out and about doing things I wouldn't normally. Once the bottle had finished though I stopped using them and a few months down the line Anxiety was bad again, I started using Doctors Best 5-HTP tablets and thought they did absolutely nothing.

Never had any dehydration type issue happen though.

Debating going back on 5-HTP and trying some Niacinamide with it.