PDA

View Full Version : Time for a 2nd Opinion?

stuart39
21-05-12, 11:57
Ive been having problems wanting to go to the loo all the time and been seeing a urologist for nearly 3 years and ive had the works;-

uro-dynamics test
cameras down the old man!
ultrasound scans of the bladder - still retaining some urine. one scan showed 400ml AFTER I had just peed.
cystoscopies
bladder distention
botox in the bladder wall
using catheters

yet still i have this constant discomfort roundabout the pubic bone area (its not really a wanting to pee type feeling but its irritating and you feel that having a pee might relieve it).

I also get slight back ache in the spine about 2 inches above the top of my bottom "crack".

Not particularly overweight.
dont smoke (never have)
dont really drink much (never have been a drinker tbh)

I just get that urge to pee every hour or so and often you cant. then its rarely more than 200ml which is approx half the quantity a normal pee should be.

Due to see the consultant in August and I am wondering if he is barking up the wrong tree. the last time i saw him he suggested i either live with it or try the botox as he had tried everything else.

LIL6293
21-05-12, 14:38
I can totally empithise with your situation and have gone through a similar bout of tests. Had a similar urge to pee but managed to curtail this by reducing tea and coffee intake, my tests proved clear and only retained 1mm of urine after the flow test, however was informed by the urologist that the pain across the lower abdomen above the bladder could be caused by refered pain from the lower back and suggested physio, also the problems may be from a vasectomy I had 15 years ago ( It can come back to haunt you ), My own G.P poo - pooed the idea of the pain from the back causing the problems ?, who do you trust, would be interested in how your second opinion goes. I'm just swallowing pain killers by the ton to keep the discomfort at bay, anything sound familiar ?. Keep us posted.

stuart39
24-05-12, 09:08
yes just wondering whether to wait 3 months till august 23rd or go see my GP this week and have him refer me now to a new consultant. will he think i am being silly and should just wait?

i get the feeling that i'll turn up in august only to be told weve tried everything when ive not had a CT scan on my abdomen for starters-its as if i have no ability to push down - i can fire out a few last drops by squeezing up inside but for me i constantly have that feeling that i am already pressing down on my bladder (if ive explained that properly). the back pain has not been linked to the bladder problems, could it be a simple trapped nerve?

i wish i had some money to just go private and spend a week or two in hospital until they got to the root of the problem instead of all this waiting for months for appointment after appointment.

LIL6293
24-05-12, 12:23
Push for it, if you don't ask you'll not get, may be you could get in somewhere earlier in a surrounding NHS area, The docs can usually book on line, I did it this way and cut my waiting time from 6 weeks to 2, had to travel 10 miles but it was worth the travel for the peice of mind, good luck.