PDA

View Full Version : ticks!!

HB
20-05-04, 16:33
hello everyone,

I went to my therapist yesterday and raised the fact that i have twitching eyes and am very conscience of my breathing and swallow and sometimes find it hard and there is no medical explanation and she called them "ticks"!

Can anyone help me? what are they? why do they happen etc?

Any tips for getting rid- they are so annoying!!!
Take care, h x

H

Meg
20-05-04, 17:09
Nervous ticks are very common in people prior to anxiety being recognised or becoming excessive. They are one of the body's way of off loading excess nervous energy.

Trouble swallowing is usually 'globus hystericus'. There is information on this on the home page. It goes when you relax - just a tightening of the throat muscles.

Meg

'There can only be true courage when first there is genuine fear'

Dr.David Livingstone

HB
22-05-04, 14:36
thankyou for letting me know that i am not that abnormal afterall!

I think it is the swallowing that is the worst thing, i end up thinking about it all the time and it wont go away... very annoying and sometimes very scary!

I would appreciate it if anyone would let me know if they get this problem too!!

Thanks, love H x

H

pauline
22-05-04, 16:53
Hi H

I get it lots and as you say its not nice what I do now is chew suger free gum when its at its worst as the chewing distracts me and helps the throat relax.

Take care
Pauline

pjpriest

HB
23-05-04, 17:09
right, off to the shop to buy gum!!

H

diana
26-05-04, 01:20
Hiya HB,

Welcome aboard mate!!!!!!

So glad you found us. :)

Yes, I too have this problem. The swallowing thing is very scary is`nt it.

I periodically get it. I hate it because that feeling just sets me up for a full blown attack. As it represents one of my worst fears. Not being able to breathe.

Crazy is`nt it??????

Thanks for the chewing gum idea Pauline. I will keep some on hand. :)

Hope this has helped a bit HB.

Take care,

Diana xxxx

HB
26-05-04, 19:06
it has helped a lot thanks and ive got a new one now, over blinking!!!! i keep fearing that i have forgotten how to blink- really starting to hurt my eyes now!!

H

diana
28-05-04, 19:11
Hiya HB,

I hope you are having a good day today.

I hope the "ticks" are getting better as well. :)

Post to let us know how you are doing.

Take care,

Diana xxx

HB
29-05-04, 13:19
oh gosh, they are awful today- i am off to london for the weekend with my boyfriend which starts me panicking in case i get travel sick (my phobia is of vomitting). My eyes are really hurting with all the twitching and i cant stop overswalowing. just wanna get on the train now and get there!! take care xx

H

pauline
29-05-04, 13:26
Hi HB

At least your going with boyfriend thats takes courage not sure i would be going. So well done. Have a lovely weekend

Take care

diana
03-06-04, 14:39
Hiya HB,

Well done you for going even though you were ticking so bad. :)

How was your weekend?

I hope you had a lovely time.

Post to let us know how you did.

Take care,

Diana xxx

HB
04-06-04, 16:16
heya! yeah was fab, got whisked off to paris and london which was such a good surprise!! I did have a few panic attacks while i was there and ended up getting a cold which doesnt help as it made me feel quixts sickly. All in all, i have a fantastic boyfriend, if there is anyone on this site who is scared to tell your friends of your fear or panic then dont be, if they are good friends they will understand :-) take care everyone x

H

diana
05-06-04, 19:24
Hiya HB,

FAB NEWS!!!!!!!

What a great surprise ey????

I am so happy that you had a great time.

Glad that the b/friend is very understanding and has showed you the time of your life.

Take care dear,

Diana xxxx

HB
06-06-04, 15:49
It was a fantastic surprise and my ticks STILL havent come back!!! I even forced myself to go for a drive (passed my test 3 weeks ago and still havent plucked up the courage!) things are looking good, fingers crossed!!

H

diana
07-06-04, 20:13
Hiya HB,

Great News!!!!!!

Things are looking great for you.

Good that the "TICKS" have not returned.

Keep at it, things are gonna go just fine.

I will keep my fingers crossed for you.

Keep us updated on your progress.

Take care,

Diana xxx

Meg
07-06-04, 21:09
H,

Thats really great news.

Well done

Meg

HB
08-06-04, 15:05