PDA

View Full Version : Physical agitation/tenseness yet mentally 'calm'

Emphyrio
21-05-12, 17:49
Hello,

For the last few months I've been experiencing pretty bad physical tenseness/agitation. I would understand feeling like this if I had something that I was anxious about, but it seems to occur even when I'm not worrying about something in particular. I haven't noticed any particular triggers - I feel agitated even if I've had enough sleep, haven't had caffeine or when I haven't eaten lots of sugary/e-number filled foods.

Has anyone has these kinds of symptoms before? I find that diazepam can help to relax me but relying on this isn't really an option as it makes me tired too (plus the doc probably wouldn't give it to me long-term). Propranolol doesn't do much at 40mg. I've tried to relax by adjusting my breathing, drinking chamomile tea etc but haven't noticed any changes.

Up until around late January this year I was drinking a lot of alcohol which I have since cut back on considerably. Could it be a long-term withdrawal symptom of this (I don't feel any cravings for alcohol). I'm struggling to find any other reason why I'd feel physically tense even though I'm not particularly anxious about anything in particular. My heart rate seems fairly normal yet my muscles are tense.

KK77
21-05-12, 18:14
I have fibromyalgia which causes muscle tension. I thought it was solely anxiety-related at first, although it's definitely worse when I'm stressed or tired. I'm NOT saying you have this as there are so many factors here, but if your symptoms continue I would ask your GP to be referred to see a consultant who will investigate further.

Re diet, sugar, caffeine, additives are all likely to cause or contribute to anxiety and agitation. I drink coffee now but for a long time I couldn't touch it, or any food/drinks containing additives. I still avoid anything containing aspartame or MSG in particular. I would try to cut out additives/sugar (eg fizzy drinks) and see how you go. I firmly believe that many anxiety sufferers are more sensitive to certain triggers than the average person.

Hawthorn
22-05-12, 09:10
Hey :)

Just because there is no reason that you can see ie, job/money worries, doesn't mean the triggers are not there. One of my own biggest factors in how I am feeling mentally or physically is the 'brain chatter' (not sure what else to call it) but that little demon can be raising hell without me even really noticing sometimes. Racing thoughts that aren't necessarily really loud, but nonetheless there. Must get milk, must call mother - oh sisters birthday soon, fathers day too, must go there for present, must go there for card, bill needs paying, get a cup of tea, dang, no milk - need butter too.....and on, and on and on. I think this kind of thing can be just as bad as an outside trigger if you have problems with dealing with stress.

Good for you on the alchohol reduction. That is not easy if you're feeling tense. Long term withdrawal? possibly, but I would say it's more of a loss of a coping mechanism thing. I find if you ditch one bad habit, you have to replace it with another more productive one.
When I quit smoking, I felt like I was going insane, way after any physical craving stopped, but that was because when I got tense previously, I would have a cigarette. Every time. My body didn't know what to do when I removed the cigarettes I guess. It was like lighting up was my bodys cue to relax a bit (even though nicotine is a stimulant)
Nowadays I paint, I draw, I do dishes/laundry/play a game with the kids. The drawing and painting is great for relaxing though. I get so absorbed I can't dwell on those racing thoughts at all.

Another thought - if relaxing isn't working, maybe some exercise will help burn up some of that spare adrenaline. I got to a stage myself when I felt so tense, that all I was trying to do was relax - either by sleeping, playing calm music, laying down and relaxing muscles, and all that happened was I got frustrated that it didn't seem to be helping. My husband dragged me out for a walk and strangely I felt better :winks: Doesn't always work for me, since a lot of my anxiety stems from being outside/meeting people but even doing step ups on the bottom stair can help if things get really bad.

Hope some of that is some use to you, and I hope you feel better soon :)

Idstain
24-05-12, 23:19
could be magnesium deficiency, i get agitation/restlesness when i'm low on mag.

good luck :)

Emphyrio
27-05-12, 14:46
Thanks for the replies everyone. Its really strange in that I've changed so much in the past few days and now feel comparatively normal again...my whole emotions etc have been shaken up too though which is quite strange. Like feeling intense feelings for someone and then a day or so later these feelings dissipating completely...

Will give the magnesium a go and see if it helps. Had several pints of beer a couple of nights ago for the first time in ages and feel like that contributed to me feeling a bit better - could be the alcohol but apparently beer has a bit of magnesium in it too. Have bought magnesium supplements (to go alongside my zinc and calcium supplements) and will report back on what happens in the coming weeks.