PDA

View Full Version : Hit an animal whilst driving

Maxine1001
22-05-12, 13:46
Hiya all,

I'm working night shift on my job at the moment. I was driving to work this morning when a cat (Going by the size I think it might of been a kitten) jumped off a wall and into the path of my car... naturally I swerved but I definitely hit it because I heard and felt the impact. I stopped a couple of meters away and saw it in my rear mirror sitting in the middle of the road looking stunned. It ran off but I turned around to see if it was alright but I couldn't find it again.

In a nutshell Ive been crying all day and have had a whole host of panic symptoms since.

I cant get over the fact that I might of caused this cat an injury, or that it might of gone and found somewhere to die, or the fact that it is someones pet. I was sent home from work because of the state I worked myself into.

I'm not sure what to do, I am debating whether or not I go and find the owner of the cat because I feel they need to know that their cat needs to go to the vet but it could be one of a hundred people.

I don't know what to do, has this or anything similar happened to anyone before? I cannot cope with this.

grotbags
22-05-12, 13:54
Damn I just lost all my post.

You did all the right things. You swerved, you stopped and you went to check if the cat was ok. It might have been injured, but seeing as it ran off, chances are it was bruised and shocked, but still ok. I agree that it would be almost impossible to locate its owner. I do feel sorry about what happened because I'm an animal lover too and I have quite a fear of hitting something when I'm in the car. It's very upsetting, but you really did do all the right things to give it the best chance of survival.

mistymoo
22-05-12, 14:00
its terrible but it was an accident, like the previous post said, you did all you could do, please dont be too hard on yourself, it will most likely take its self home , the owners will then be able to take it to the vets. I would feel just the same as you if it was me.

Beckybooboo
22-05-12, 14:10
Hi,

Aww wow. I'm so sorry to hear that you're going through this.

Please know that it was an accident, as mentioned above you did all you could to prevent something like this from happening but unfortunately these things happen and it's part of the circle of life.

Please don't be too hard on yourself and know that you had the animals best interests at heart. You'll be okay.

All the best,
Becky

Maxine1001
22-05-12, 14:25
Thanks, hoping the cat is ok, I hate not knowing.

Beckybooboo
22-05-12, 14:47
Hi,

Maxine - accept the uncertainty. It was an accident, don't beat yourself up about it too much but just have hope that the cat is okay, and secondly, be grateful that you're okay too.

I hope you're okay hun.

All the best,
Becky