PDA

View Full Version : Alzheimers? Any help or anyone relate?

willous1
22-05-12, 15:18
Hi, I have had severe health anxiety for the last few months and have convinced myself I have had brain tumours, cancer and other things. It has ruined my life and bow I am convinced I have alzheimers. I am 27 and male. For a couple of months this new obsession has been going on. I stumbled on a colleagues name, found out my nan had alzheimers and put two and two together. Since then I have been assessing everything such as I think things then a minute later question what I was thinking. Another big worry is that I think something then don't remember if I have said it out loud so I am scared to repeat it. This makes me phsically sick. I read up on it constantly and 2 doctors now have said that I have not got it at all. I sometimes find it hard to find words and obsess over whether I have lost something or forgot to do something. Yesterday at work a colleague said something which I replied to. Then he said, don't you remember talking about this this morning. Last of all, I grabbed the washing up liquid the other day instead of juice, I quickly noticed but it ruined my day again as I thought it may be a symptom. I am on citilopram 40mg. Don't know what to do anymore.

meche
22-05-12, 15:44
Hi Willous1 - yesterday I put the sugar in the fridge, the day before I kept pressing the defrost button on the microwave when I wanted to heat something up (did it 3-4 times), today alone I've stopped speaking mid sentence forgetting completely what I was saying, couldn't remember my phone number and pretty certain I've repeated myself again and again.... I do not have alzheimers - just a very tired, frazzled mind that can't think straight at the moment :wacko::wacko:. It is a bit scary at times and I find myself recollecting names of people and numbers just to check my brain is still functional. Try not to think too much - the more you think the worse it will seem. Trust me - you are fine. :)

willous1
22-05-12, 18:19
Thanks so much for your reply. Its amazing what health anxiety can do to you. Would love to feel normal again.

swgrl09
22-05-12, 19:40
How old was your nan when she had alzheimer's? I believe that only the early-onset type is genetic, not the kind you get when you are older. Even if it was early-onset, I am sure you are fine. Signs of dementia and alzheimer's are forgetfulness that really interferes with your life - like getting lost somewhere familiar and not knowing how to get home, leaving the stove on overnight, not knowing what year it is -not just forgetting if it is Monday but believing it is 1985 or something like that. It would be much more obvious.

I hope that helps! I forget names all the time, as well as the date, out of stress.

Anxious_gal
22-05-12, 19:55
Anxiety causes memory loss and forgetfulness so does medication and depression.
If you can watch a t.v show or a movie when you are in a relaxed state and can follow the plot then you are fine.
We all forget things, like walking into a room and you can't remember what you wanted to get. Forgetting a friends name.Can't remember what you were just about to say.
The more you focus on this the worse you anxiety gets and the more you will forget stuff so unless you find a way to not worry about this you will convince yourself you have it :(

willous1
22-05-12, 21:23
How old was your nan when she had alzheimer's? I believe that only the early-onset type is genetic, not the kind you get when you are older. Even if it was early-onset, I am sure you are fine. Signs of dementia and alzheimer's are forgetfulness that really interferes with your life - like getting lost somewhere familiar and not knowing how to get home, leaving the stove on overnight, not knowing what year it is -not just forgetting if it is Monday but believing it is 1985 or something like that. It would be much more obvious.

I hope that helps! I forget names all the time, as well as the date, out of stress.

She was about 55 and had senile dementia but none of her 4 children got it and two are in their 80,s. Plus no one else in the family but it does not stop me being sick with worry. I feel like I can't take it anymore. Silly really

---------- Post added at 21:23 ---------- Previous post was at 20:29 ----------

Does anyone know if early onset alzheimers would be more common in a family than just one grandparent for it to be hereditary. Sorry. Just so sick with fear. Not me anymore and my family suffer.

Jules147
22-05-12, 22:55
Anxiety causes memory loss and the keys-in-the fridge syndrome.

Altzeimers in your 20s?

You've got more chance of winning the big one on the lottery even if you do have family history.

My grandmother died of it but I don't know of anyone else in my family who has it or had it.

diane07
22-05-12, 23:10
I work with dementia and alzheimer clients 7 days a week, no days off and no holidays, in all the years i have done this for i have never had a client as young as you or known one as young as you............... you will be fine hun xxx

oh and by the way i often put the milk in the cupboard and the coffee in the fridge...............

anxiety has a terrible way of gripping our fears at times......

KK77
22-05-12, 23:15
Yes Jules is right - more chance of winning lottery than Alzheimer's at your age. Of course no one can tell what the future holds for any of us, so logically speaking, we have to rationalise this and focus on treating our anxiety rather than the symptoms of it.

charmcc123
23-05-12, 00:27
hi there i was reading your thread and my word that was me last year, i started like you thinking back so much do i remenber that 2 mins ago did i see her face what was here face like, every min i needed to re call it and know every detailed it got so bad i had a break down in my doctors office, he said at 26 you seriously dont have it and no brain tumor its taken a while and im alot better, you have overloaded your brain and not letting your brain sort it out in short term and long term memory we and recall whats important the quote i read a while back was if a tiger was chasing you, youll remenber the panic the fear abd emotions,and your totally thinking of the fear hun with this horrid aniexty it will take time but clear your mind stop googling, take up a really difficult task, like a puzzle belive me it works your not thinking the thinking i had to have medication to relieve the pressure off them now but on meds for headaches i could fear the brain tumor thought but they gone just scared to come of meds for their return, if you need advice im here so know how your feeling took me a month to go to docs and didnt belive him but i do now xxx

---------- Post added at 00:27 ---------- Previous post was at 00:25 ----------

hi there i was reading your thread and my word that was me last year, i started like you thinking back so much do i remenber that 2 mins ago did i see her face what was here face like, every min i needed to re call it and know every detailed it got so bad i had a break down in my doctors office, he said at 26 you seriously dont have it and no brain tumor its taken a while and im alot better, you have overloaded your brain and not letting your brain sort it out in short term and long term memory we and recall whats important the quote i read a while back was if a tiger was chasing you, youll remenber the panic the fear abd emotions,and your totally thinking of the fear hun with this horrid aniexty it will take time but clear your mind stop googling, take up a really difficult task, like a puzzle belive me it works your not thinking the thinking i had to have medication to relieve the pressure off them now but on meds for headaches i could fear the brain tumor thought but they gone just scared to come of meds for their return, if you need advice im here so know how your feeling took me a month to go to docs and didnt belive him but i do now xxx spelling bad on lap top and typing fast lol

imissnotworrying
23-05-12, 00:42
i have a lot of little memory slips, but they are very common, especially if we don't get enough sleep, and as i read somewhere 'there's a difference between forgetting where you parked your car and forgetting you have a car' that made it really clear to me that its just my anxiety xxx

willous1
23-05-12, 08:08
Thank you all for your replies. I think my issue is that I need to really find a way of calming my health anxiety because as soon as I relax and think I have not got something, I either think that I am going to get it or find something else. The replies have been great so far and I appreciate it. Am so glad I joined this site. With regards to the alzheimers I wish I could find out more on the genetic early onset part of it and put my mind to ease as I am convinced I have all will get it even know no one since her had or has it and she had 4 children

Anxious_gal
23-05-12, 08:50
Inherited it's very rare . Unless a parent has it. Its unlikely you will get it.
I guess there maybe a gentic test you could get?
But that even then that doesnt mean you'd develope it.
So really there's no way to know.
But again the chances are slim to nothing.

willous1
24-05-12, 10:45
Inherited it's very rare . Unless a parent has it. Its unlikely you will get it.
I guess there maybe a gentic test you could get?
But that even then that doesnt mean you'd develope it.
So really there's no way to know.
But again the chances are slim to nothing.

Thanks, would anyone recommend seeing a cbt to see if it can help as desperate now. Each day something happens to ruin it such as this morning when I went to put deodrant in the food cupboard. As with other illnesses I've convinced myself I have had I just hope this blows over. It is affecting my whole life.

Jules147
24-05-12, 10:56
Putting deodorant in the food cupboard is not thinking properly because you are too busy worrying. It is no different to the keys-in-the-fridge example that I mentioned.

Worrying shuts down your rational brain. My CBT therapist taught me this because altzeimers fears are common amongst anxiety sufferers.

willous1
24-05-12, 14:40
Does anyone know if the following is a symptom of anxiety or has anyone had it... Thinking something, then a few seconds to a minute later going to say what you thought but wondering whether you actually said it or not. This is my worst symptom and it keeps happening. My head just can't work out if I said it or not. It is strange. Hope I make sense.

Jules147
24-05-12, 15:53
Yours Truly has just been on a drive through the countryside to my favourite butchers shop and delicatessen in a small village some ten miles from home along narrow and occasionally twisty lanes. Half way I have to pass through another village where I also have to turn left in order to reach the village where the butcher's shop is.

After numerous distractions including several tractors, admiring the view, an on-coming 4 x 4, a parcel van (is he lost???), it occured to me that I couldn't remember going through the village and turning left. The butcher's shop was round the next corner....

I thought of you.

willous1
25-05-12, 13:15
Does anyone know if the following is a symptom of anxiety or has anyone had it... Thinking something, then a few seconds to a minute later going to say what you thought but wondering whether you actually said it or not. This is my worst symptom and it keeps happening. My head just can't work out if I said it or not. It is strange. Hope I make sense.

Sorry to go on everyone, but as well as the above. I went to take my children to nursery today and as I was deciding which way to go out of 2 ways then I thought in my head of going down a route that leads somewhere else. I did go the right was but keep ruminating as to why my head even thought of that route. In my head i know where everything leads to and where everything is but now just feel sick again. Hope this makes sense too. would early onset be different to that symptom. Wish I never read up on internet.

Jules147
25-05-12, 14:18
It sounds like you made a conscious choice. Anxiety does cause memory loss anyway because your rational brain can't function.

Here's an analogy: Is the secretary going to be able to access the filing cabinet while she is running around screaming because there is a wasp in the office?

willous1
25-05-12, 14:26
It sounds like you made a conscious choice. Anxiety does cause memory loss anyway because your rational brain can't function.

Here's an analogy: Is the secretary going to be able to access the filing cabinet while she is running around screaming because there is a wasp in the office?

Thanks, good analogy. So you would say it is not a symptom at all but just brain playing tricks. The ruminating is the worst thing. makes you believe more

Jules147
25-05-12, 14:41
The ruminating is the running away from the wasp.

---------- Post added at 14:41 ---------- Previous post was at 14:37 ----------

And yes, the mind is playing tricks. Whilst we can all multi-task to a point we can only think about one thing at a time. If all your thoughts are devoted to rumination how are you going to remember other stuff?

sharn93
26-05-12, 10:21
Hey I'm 19 and also stress over my health :( ..I'm now worrying I have ALz to, I find myself forgeting I've already told someone something then a few hours later I tell them again.. My friend was over last night and I said I keep forgeting and she trigger my anxiety for it when she turned around and said Alzheimers!! And that's it I've woke up today and I'm googling everything, I can't concentrate and I'm convinced I have it!! also I was in a supermarket earlier this year and I thought I was in a different one :S ..I have depression and ocd so I obsess about everything! There's no Alz in my family.. Just wanted to tell u what's happening with me :/ hope we both relax soon but by reading yours I don't think u have it at all!

willous1
27-05-12, 10:57
Hey I'm 19 and also stress over my health :( ..I'm now worrying I have ALz to, I find myself forgeting I've already told someone something then a few hours later I tell them again.. My friend was over last night and I said I keep forgeting and she trigger my anxiety for it when she turned around and said Alzheimers!! And that's it I've woke up today and I'm googling everything, I can't concentrate and I'm convinced I have it!! also I was in a supermarket earlier this year and I thought I was in a different one :S ..I have depression and ocd so I obsess about everything! There's no Alz in my family.. Just wanted to tell u what's happening with me :/ hope we both relax soon but by reading yours I don't think u have it at all!

If you have not got it un your family its basically an impossibility. And at 19 you have nothing to worry about.

This morning I forgot if I took my tablet or not so that's another day ruined with anxiety. I also am forgetting what people tell me although I remember the conversation. Really need help.

Magic
27-05-12, 11:57
I suffer with really bad anxity an I really have a bad memory, which causes much embarresment. I worse thing is putting stuff away and then forgetting where i have put it even if it is only after a few minits.
But I know I have definatly not got ALz.
I have been in contact with poeple in the care home my daughter is in ,and by talking to ALz sufferers I know I have not got it.
It's just because my mind is full of things that I an anxious about.
Please excuse, I cannot spell.
Love to all xx

Jules147
27-05-12, 12:22
Anxiety causes memory loss. So does Altzeimers.

Which is the more likely cause of your memory issues?

How likely is the other possibility?

Is it even a possibility?

Magic
27-05-12, 13:05
Possibly. No one can predict this . only time will tell.
I could could have a heart attack tomorrow or get knocked down by a car.
Any of these are possible???????????????

willous1
27-05-12, 13:25

This has made me really anxious and nervous. So do you think I may have it but have to wait?

Jules147
27-05-12, 13:31

But very very unlikely. You need to learn to live with uncertainty. If something is very unlikely you really shouldn't be worrying about it.

Memory/concentration loss, have a look at the Hamilton anxiety questionnaire devised in 1959, I have linked to the second page:

http://www.psy-world.com/hama_print2.htm

willous1
27-05-12, 18:00
Why does health anxiety give you what seems to be symptoms of what you think you have. When I thought I had heart issues I had the weirdest feeling. Now with this I assess everything. I found it so hard to concentrate at work today and took ages with figures and end of day. Now read this is another symptom. Keeps happening.

willous1
28-05-12, 10:42
Me again, just wanted to see if anyone thinks this is just anxiety and concentration or something more sinister like alzheimers. I remember asking people stuff e.g did you call someone? But don't recall the answer such as yes or no sometimes and later have to ask them what they said. Thanks

Jules147
28-05-12, 12:57
Willous1, click on the link I provided above. What does it tell you?

willous1
31-05-12, 14:21
I just started feeling a bit better but today a couple of things have happened. Really need to calm down. Feel sick. At work I was looking for my folder and found it in the office room. For the life of me I cannot remember going in there. Is this a sign. Someone please help

---------- Post added at 14:21 ---------- Previous post was at 14:11 ----------

I really need some peace of mind 27 and fewlel like I've gone mad and dying

meche
31-05-12, 14:57
Willous - I do that all the time. I've been forgetting computer/log-in passwords this week and I've been using them for years. Today I found myself sitting down to start a job I had already done yesterday! My anxiety came on very suddenly in February and it's taken this long for my symptoms to reduce. Thankfully (:)) I'm feeling much better and on the mend but I've put my poor mind/body through so much unnecessary stress that it will take a while for everything to settle back into place - my concentration/memory has suffered badly. The more you worry about it the worse it will seem so try to relax a little and try to see the amusing side to the 'silly things' you're doing at the moment. :doh:! Trust me - we all do them!

willous1
31-05-12, 16:31
Willous - I do that all the time. I've been forgetting computer/log-in passwords this week and I've been using them for years. Today I found myself sitting down to start a job I had already done yesterday! My anxiety came on very suddenly in February and it's taken this long for my symptoms to reduce. Thankfully (:)) I'm feeling much better and on the mend but I've put my poor mind/body through so much unnecessary stress that it will take a while for everything to settle back into place - my concentration/memory has suffered badly. The more you worry about it the worse it will seem so try to relax a little and try to see the amusing side to the 'silly things' you're doing at the moment. :doh:! Trust me - we all do them!

Thank you. My anxiety started earlier this year as well and its a relieve to hear other people go through it. Your brain really does make you think you have something. I have convinced myself I have had so many things. It has affected work, home...everything. Thanks for your advice and I do need to relax and see the silly things.

meche
31-05-12, 16:49
Tell me about it. Willous - this year alone I thought I had MS and I've only just convinced myself I haven't got a brain tumour. I've always been healthy and never suffered from anxiety until earlier this year. So many different things were happening to my body that I thought something was very wrong. The mind is a very powerful thing and will convince you of anything. I can say it now because I'm not in that place anymore but just try to carry on as normal and have things to look forward to - it really does take your mind of the moment. I know it isn't easy but you will get there. xx

willous1
01-06-12, 09:42
Does anyone else think something, say it to someone a minute later then wonder whether they just thought it or actually said it. Hope it makes sense. Big part of my anxiety at the moment. Keep saying to people, did I just say that?

Jules147
01-06-12, 11:22
Yes, I have done that. The problem you have is that the more you ruminate about memory/concentration issues the more you will have memory/concentration issues.

There is no sinister cause for this. Anxiety does it because the endless mind chatter makes it difficult for you to concentrate.

That folder found its way into the office room while you were lost in worrying thought.

You forgot whether your other thought actually became words because the process of forming those thoughts into words and then uttering them was inturrupted by the intrusion of more worrying thoughts. Naturally you can't remember at which point exactly your rational train of thought was interrupted by the worrisome one.

Practise 7/11 breathing and count in your head as you do it. While you are counting you won't be worrying.

willous1
01-06-12, 17:14
Thanks Jules. One last thing is really making me anxious today. So sorry to go on. Promise its the last but this site gas helped me so so much. At work we had people down from another branch. I can remember just before they left because they gave my boss flowers. However later in the day I said to my boss, have they left? She said, yeah just after I got flowers don't you remember. It may of been that I was doing something else at the time but cannot remember them leaving. This type of thing really makes me anxious and ruminate. I ask myself, surely they would have personally said bye etc etc. I know it was probably just a case of me just doing something else at the time even know in same room but my brain just says ALzheimers

Jules147
01-06-12, 18:48
You obviously weren't paying attention as they were leaving.

willous1
23-06-12, 21:46
Hi everyone, I don't know if anyone saw my post about asbestos. My HA was worst it has been for a long time. Now my mind has eased on that my alzheimers worry has come back on. I completely forgot about it whilsty other fear took over. However today I left the iron on and when I found out this bog fear came over me and once again I over thought. Why does the brain act like this. Soon as one thing eases another comes on. I have never left the iron on. Made myself feel numb in places etc

---------- Post added at 21:46 ---------- Previous post was at 18:00 ----------

Also earlier I went to get some Calpol for my son and looked everywhere in kitchen. 5 minutes later I went in there and it was right in front of me. Does this sound like alzheimers. At 27 I am killing myself with stress. I feel sick and numb. Someone please help.

willous1
28-06-12, 15:50
Hi everyone, started to feel so much better until today when earlier I said something about a shop then a minute later thought to myself did I just think that or say that? I asked my partner and she said yes I did say it. Feel like im going mad again.

willous1
18-10-12, 15:38
Hi everyone, I really need a response. I have had the worst day ever. Because of other worries I completely forgot about alzheimers for months. But today at the call centre I work in I told a customer my name and extension number and he told me that i had already told him that just before that and started laughing. I have had to leave work and am scared stiffless about alzheimers. im 28 just dont know what to do.

---------- Post added at 15:25 ---------- Previous post was at 14:54 ----------

Please can someone help i really need it

---------- Post added at 15:38 ---------- Previous post was at 15:25 ----------

Or does anyone know of any site which are busier and i can get help. Im so worried.

willous1
18-10-12, 20:17
Thanks everyone. Really ****ing helped