PDA

View Full Version : Another citalopram new starter -work?

June83
23-05-12, 09:09
I was wondering how on earth people balance work with starting citalopram? I only took my first tablet yesterday. Was up most of the night wandering to the loo with stomach pain (lovely!) and just clock watching but still managed around 5 hours sleep. I am used to problems sleeping and nightmares- one of the main reasons I ended up at the doctors. (mabye I should have paid attention to the freaking out I was doing watching the clock slowly move to get up time) This morning I am back at work and I feel zombified. I feel so detached and dull some how. Only been here 30 mins and already been crying twice! I feel on a hair trigger right now - push me even slightly and the tears will start. Just realised concentration is shot too - this post is far too much effort!!! I just want to put my head on my desk like I used to at school when I felt poorly! It is just gone 9!!!

So any tips for a zombified worker trying to keep this a secret?

Rocker
23-05-12, 09:39
June83

The first few weeks on citalopram can be a bit hard but most of us have been there and it does get better the best place to be is at work not indoors thinking about it trust me.

Hope you might start feeling a little better after a few days.

What dose are you starting on.

Rocker

oneofus
23-05-12, 22:45
Pretty good post given what you said, no spelunking mistakes.:)

Work wise you only need to be careful if Citalopram causes you to feel drowsy and you operate machinery. It will take a few weeks to kick in, but it will. Til then keep posting and talking here, you'll be amazed that it really helps; as Shakespeare says all the worlds a stage in which case no more panic is akin to the casting couch.

One of us

June83
24-05-12, 08:55
I am on 20mg of Citalopram. I survived the day at work. Got my second wind as it got closer to re take tablet time. Woke up last night with the sorest of throats though. Now I am even more miserable with a cold. Not impressed with the timing of this! I have my return to work shortly today (was off for a day after the work based panic attack which finally drove me to the doctors) and I feel so apathetic I probably will end up telling the truth - I am certainly not acting normally! My husband says don't tell a soul that mental health problems are looked on negatively at work but I really don't have the capacity to tell lies at the moment!

On the plus side I am really enjoying having such an easily distracted mind at the moment. I couldn't sleep last night as my throat was keeping me up but while normally I would be drowning in all the worries/stresses I have for hours on end - last night I just could not think about them for more than a few second before I just forgot to think about them! Such a blank mind is such a pleasant sensation. However at work - not so good!

I am glad I am stuck on public transport and office based- there is no way I could drive or do anything more technical than operate a PC!

Heres to another day!

ama
24-05-12, 10:46
I think we might be in a similar situation. I've just started taking Citalopram 20mg and am finding it a little tough. Just remember, it will get better. I took my first tablet yesterday evening and although I'm feeling quite rough, our bodies can cope with quite a lot so bare with it. Try exercising. I find exercise for me helps me get a better nights sleep. If you are thinking or worrying about things write them down so that you clear your mind. Another thing I read in the Sticky on Citalopram is vitamin B is good and will help you get back some energy. I'm going to buy some today in my lunch break. My mum had similar issues and she said vitamin B really helped her. I hope you find this information helpful. Stick with it. You'll be ok.

Douglas
24-05-12, 17:03
Woke up last night with the sorest of throats though. Now I am even more miserable with a cold.

That's strange, I have read other posts where people talk about the cold they got as they are starting cit. I too caught a cold after my first week of taking the drug. Does it weaken the immune system, or is this just coincidence?

LAURA48
24-05-12, 17:28
Hi

I take my hat off to you on those that are managing to go to work on Citalopram or any SSRI for that matter - this is my 4th week on Cit - 3 weeks on 20mg and then this week on 40mg - I have been sooo tired - having to go to bed in the afternoons! and have had some nasty headaches. My GP this morning said this is common with Citalopram - and weight gain! So sent me for blood tests. I have found them milder in start up effects to Prozac (which worked very well for 15 years) - my anxiety just rocketed but it did pass - hopefully these side effects will too - but there is no way I could go to work - been signed off for another 8 weeks!

happycamper
24-05-12, 22:00
Hi June83,
I too started taking citalopram and worked throughout, although I did time my first 3 days of taking them over days off.
Yes it was difficult those first 2 or 3 weeks, I remember running a medical consultants clinic and the blank mind did get in the way of keeping up with what was being said. The tiredness is and continues to be tough at times, however cit has helped me no end and after almost 2 years of taking them I haven't had a day off sick nor does anyone else in work know I'm on them...
Good luck!

June83
25-05-12, 08:46
I am one very very happy woman today! I don't know why but I am bubbling with happiness! Everything just seems right in the world at the moment. Everyone in the office has noticed. It doesn't make sense - I have been awake since three due to nightmares, have a sore throat, ear ache, pounding headache but I am so happy!! Husband is rather bemused by my cheerfulness - especially after the tickling competition I started yesterday! Actually been singing this morning which I have not done in ages. Have not had a single stressing thought for two days now - my brain just will not let me focus on it. Oh well I am enjoying it for the time being it is Friday so only 7 hours till the weekend!

During my return to work, I decided to tell the truth. They kept saying I should go home and occy health got a mention so will have to see what happens from them. Should have done it today instead would have been a lot more alert!

Cathyt
25-05-12, 19:49
Good for you lot doing so well on Citi. I don't know if it's of any help but I take Inositol tablets which really help with the panic. You can get in powder form too. I read about it from PsychoPoet's message about it at the beginning of the forum and ordered it straight away. I really think it's helping me with the side effects. Cathy x

Rocker
26-05-12, 10:32
Hi june83

I hope thing are getting a bit better I Been reading your post and you have been doing really well with work and stuff.

Well done keep it up.

If ou still need to talk there are people here for you.

Rocker

southey
26-05-12, 12:07
I'm one of the people who find it very hard to work when starting these tablets. I am self employed so can take time off when needed and I usually take a couple of weeks off even if loosing the money sucks.

I know trying to occupy yourself is the best way but the severity of the heightened anxiety and the chatterbox in my mind and constant analysing is too much at first and I need quiet surroundings at home.

For me it's best not to be on site in this state as a lot of work is at heights or operating machinery.

Starting to feel better though and coming up to week three so there is light at the end of the tunnel:)

Steve.

LAURA48
26-05-12, 12:17
Hi

I am 4 weeks into Citalopram - 3 weeks on 20mg and the past week 40mg - tbh I haven't found any benefit so far. Just tiredness - extreme - headaches - anxiety - all the normal start up effects - especially on the 40mg.

There is NO way I could go to work feeling like this. I take my hat off to those that can - been in bed most afternoons!

Laura

southey
26-05-12, 12:36
Hope you start feeling better soon Laura. I know what you mean about wanting to stay in bed. Sleep is the best time for me as all the horrid feelings go away. I'm also lucky in that my sleep isn't affected.

Steve.:)

LAURA48
26-05-12, 12:41
Hi Steve

Thanks for that - my sleep hasn't been too badly affected either. This is just such a horrid time though isn't it?

I am under a Psychiatrist - have had to go private - as wasn't getting any better (since Nov) on the med merry go round - and was diagnosed with Pure OCD (sound a right nutcase)! but am a Medical Sec/Receptionist and need to be in A1 form - as can get quite a bit of abuse on reception! (no NHS perks there!) but the tiredness and bad headaches have been a nuisance more since the 40mg - but shrink said I need to be on a high dose!!

Hope you will start to feel better too - such a slow process - isn't it!

Laura

southey
26-05-12, 12:52
Yes slow progress indeed. Let's hope the 40mg does the bizzo with you and you can be back dealing with all those lovely people :whistles:

Steve:)

LAURA48
26-05-12, 12:56
Thanks - hope so - they are not all bad - just the odd ones.

Hope you feel better too!

joy
26-05-12, 13:48
I enjoyed being a Gp receptionist years ago but one of the Docs was a b*******d so I eventually left. Very hard work tho. Not feeling quite as good as I have been the last few days but done my `shift in the charity shop so at least I managed that.Trying not to panic about not feeling as good the anxiety is quite low if I'm honest but could go either way at the mo

Love Joy

---------- Post added at 13:48 ---------- Previous post was at 13:37 ----------

BTW not on citalopram but a brand new anti dep called Valodan given by private shrink

Joy