PDA

View Full Version : Started today on Amitriptyline

Cathyt
23-05-12, 19:12
Hi, I have just taken my first dose of 25mgs.and and awaiting the side effects. I was on Citalpopram for 8 days and it gave me terrible SE's so I'm hoping this will calm me down a bit and give me a little sleep if nothing else. Opinions on the drug are most welcome.
Cathy x

BobbyDog
23-05-12, 21:56
Hi Cathy,
When I first started taking Amitriptyline for the second time 2 weeks ago, I had dry mouth, this goes after 1-2 weeks. Lightheadedness if standing up too quickly, I now get up slowly and it has got better. My daily agitation is much improved, as are the irrational thoughts. Overall the benefits outweigh the negative side effects.

I am the same as you, I could not take the S.E. from the Citalopram, I have had a very bad reaction to all SSRI's.

If you want anymore information or want to chat PM me:D

Stormsky
23-05-12, 21:58
I took amitryptline for 9yrs, you shouldnt get any bad side effects starting them, i dont recall any... they are an old anti depresent and not used much for that these days, more for nerve damage and insomnia...
They will make you sleep , so thats a good thing if thats what your looking for.

Cathyt
24-05-12, 14:02
I survived my first night on 25mgs. and actually slept okay. Haven't had any SE's so far which is good apart from the sweats which are I feel the remainder of the Citalopram coming out. It actually says on the leaflet that comes with the Amitrip. that it's for depression even though I realise it's an old one. I'm keeping the faith with it for now anyway and will give it a chance to work. Cathy x

BobbyDog
24-05-12, 14:44
Go for it Cathy,
It is helping me with my anxiety, it's still there, but not on the scale it was before I started taking the Amitriptyline.

I know other people have said that Amitriptyline is no longer used to treat depression/anxiety, but it is if you have tried everything else in the doctor's bible.
It is kind of my last hope with medication.

Stormsky
24-05-12, 23:22
For depression it's generally 75mg upward. Although I managed on 50mg maintenance dose for last few yrs I took it.

Cathyt
25-05-12, 19:39
Thanks guys for the input. I am now on day 3 taking the Ami and today managed to go to Richmond Park with the dogs and then supermarket shopping by myself. I stuck to the list and was out of there toute sweet but feel a little more human today. I don't know if the Inositol is helping as I take over 3 Gms of it a day but for the first time in recent memory I feel a little better. I've increased the dose to 75mgs. a day so that may account for it.....who knows or cares as long as it works. Tomorrow, I'm going to be alone all day as my partner is going to the rugby final at Twickers so I hope I feel the same alone with the dogs. Have a good weekend everyone. Cathy x

Cathyt
21-08-12, 18:27
I have been on Ami 150 mgs for almost 3 months now and though I am coping I have no energy and find myself stopping for breath when I walk anywhere. I don't know if there is a connection but if anyone has any ideas I'd been happy to listen.
Cathy

BobbyDog
21-08-12, 18:50
I have been on Ami 150 mgs for almost 3 months now and though I am coping I have no energy and find myself stopping for breath when I walk anywhere. I don't know if there is a connection but if anyone has any ideas I'd been happy to listen.
Cathy

I seem to remember that when I was on a high dose like you are, my energy levels were very low. Not sure about the shortness of breath though, would have a word with your doctor and voice your concerns. If you are short of time see if you can get a telephone appointment, rather than going into the surgery.
Sorry I could not be of more help.