PDA

View Full Version : views on cognitive therapy??

ashleigh88
23-05-12, 20:58
hi my doctor has recently asked me if i would like to try cognitive therapy im not sure how i feel about this. i hear it has a very good success rate? awhat are your thoughts? thnks

grotbags
23-05-12, 21:04
It does have good success rates, and a lot of doctors think it's the way forward. If you feel you can stick to a run of sessions I think it could make you a lot better, but of course you have to feel ready to do it. I have noticed with agoraphobia that I have had to do things in my own time. Therapy, starting meds, coming off meds... I was referred to an NHS psychiatrist recently and he would not give me meds but said that CBT is what would help.

Anxious_gal
23-05-12, 21:45
Well it's therapy where actually get to DO something :)
It'll teach you all about negative thinking, different types of thinking patterns, avoidance and safety behavior and how to cope with the anxiety and how take a lot of the fear out of a panic attack.
As long as you continue the practice and home work it'd be awesome for you :)
View it as a positive step to getting your life back x

BobbyDog
23-05-12, 22:26
It is a few years since I had CBT, but it was a great help to me at the time, the psychologist I saw was really nice and easy to open up to.
It was good to talk to someone who could understand my feelings.
She gave me coping strategies and helped me move forwards with my life.

Connor_cbt
23-05-12, 23:06
Cognitive therapy works, plain and simple as you may tell from my I'd I am a fan lol but that doesn't mean it works 100% of the time and for every person, when I first had CBT it got me from being a stressed out, anxious and depressed person trapped in my own home to a full Time worker with a busy social life with no medicatin what so ever! Just plain old effort was all it took. My attitude at the time was that I knew I had issues about certain parts of my life that were hurtful to me and that I carried them with me but I want help in figuring out how to deal with the symptoms I was experiencing not sit chewing the fat with an elderly psychiatrist for hours on end feeling judged all the time! Now more time has passed and I still feel as though I am carrying those things with me and I'm trying a different approach and confronting them instead. So in short it really depends on where the root of your troubles begin imo

SLjimbo
24-05-12, 00:10
Absolutely, I'm a firm believer of CBT. It definitely helps to use it during your road to recovery.

kittikat
24-05-12, 00:32
I agree with all of the above. I am just over half way through my CBT programme and it is really helping with the anxiety and panics....have a long way to go with the agoraphobia though, but we are working on it and with very small steps I am making some progress here too. Worth a try in my opinion :yesyes:

Kitti :)

doodah
24-05-12, 10:12
It's great to read everyone's posts about CBT. I'm a long-term agoraphobia/stresshead sufferer and have been put forward for High Intensity CBT - not a clue what that is but I'm going for it! I guess the thing that worries me the most is whether they're going to say "Right - get on a bus and go into the centre of town on your own"! I'm sure it'll be a slow build-up to that sort of thing ... won't it?? :scared15:
I do know that I need to change the way that I think which is part of CBT.

Wendy

sazmo
24-05-12, 12:27
CBT was a god send for me. The first batch was a one to one with a councellor which failed as I cried through every session. I then went on group CBT and it was amazing. Took the emotion out of it as things werent all focused on me so I was able to gain from the classes

toshtao
24-05-12, 13:01
Cognitive therapy really works. I tried a session one time and I was able to sort out all of my problems. I better understood how to prevent the panic attacks coming from the issues, and was able to prepare my mind for the mood I wanted to be in.

Staying calm is really hard for me you see. I tend to be either angry, energetic, or nervous 90% of the time. Using this method really helped me out substantially, and I highly recommend it.

Firehead
24-05-12, 13:09
How is it for intrusive thoughts and catastrophic thinking?

kittikat
24-05-12, 21:28
It's great to read everyone's posts about CBT. I'm a long-term agoraphobia/stresshead sufferer and have been put forward for High Intensity CBT - not a clue what that is but I'm going for it! I guess the thing that worries me the most is whether they're going to say "Right - get on a bus and go into the centre of town on your own"! I'm sure it'll be a slow build-up to that sort of thing ... won't it?? :scared15:
I do know that I need to change the way that I think which is part of CBT.

Wendy

The therapist I see is a 'high intensity' therapist...not sure what it means, but there is certainly no pressure on me to get out of my comfort zone. We discussed a 'plan'....simple things I felt comfortable about the possibility of achieving...and if it doesn't happen, you just re-jig your plan...simple!! It is a really slow build up so don't worry :yesyes: I hope you get as much from it as I seem to be!! Kitti :)

Jules147
24-05-12, 22:15

Very effective!

doodah
24-05-12, 22:18
Oh phew! Thanks Kitti!:yesyes:

Wendy

chemilyx
25-05-12, 00:13
Hi Ashleigh,

I think CBT (or any therapy for that matter) is worth a go. Different things work for different people and you have to try them to see what works for you.

I personally have had CBT in the past and didn't find it that helpful - but don't take my word for it because loads of people have tried it and found it the most amazing, enlightening experience which ultimately helped them recover. I also recently went on a 6 week course in cognitive behavioural strategies to help yourself, and even though there were some really helpful techniques suggested which will help me in some way, it ultimately isn't going to have any bearing on my overall depression and hasn't made much of a difference. Unfortunately though I think CBT is all that's available on the NHS - ridiculous :(

I've been having psychotherapy privately now for about 4 weeks. I can't afford it with no income, but I'm just surviving on my overdraft as I know that psychotherapy is something I just have to do if I want to get better.

Hope you find something that works for you. x

---------- Post added at 00:13 ---------- Previous post was at 00:11 ----------

I found it pretty helpful for that actually. I went on a 6 week course in cognitive behavioural strategies and if you know what's actually going on in your head and are able to pinpoint the negative thoughts, you can learn to question them and re-think things.