PDA

View Full Version : Fast heart rate for hours after exercise

ann88
23-05-12, 23:18
I have noticed for a while now that after I exercise, my heart rate stays high for a long time.

I would class myself as quite unfit (although not overweight), and I don't know what my heart rate gets to during exercise... I don't want to know. It would only scare me. Over the last couple of years I have been through phases of exercising with the Wii Fit, or on an exercise bike, and although I'm pretty sure my heart rate comes down to about 120 pretty quickly (within a couple of minutes), it will be pumping away at about 100 for up to a few hours after.

I went for a 30min horse riding lesson this afternoon, and I checked my pulse a couple of minutes after I got off, and I think it was about 120-130. Drove home, 15 minutes later, it's probably about 100. 2 hours later, still about 90-100. My 'proper' resting heart rate is about 65, although because of my anxiety it's normally more like 80 during waking hours. I do take propranolol every day but only a low dose.

It's just an awful feeling; I can't just forget about it as I'm one of these unfortunate people that can feel my heart rate all the time without having to actually check my pulse on my wrist. This high heart rate after exercise just leaves me feeling generally on-edge, as if it's pumping more forcefully than usual.

I have had many tests in the past (ECGs, echo, 48hr monitor, blood tests) and everything has been fine, but I can't help worrying about this high heart rate. I would love to get my own horse but I can't because I'm so concerned about pushing myself and generally being active (I know that sounds crazy because exercise is so good for general health, but is it still good for you when your heart rate doesn't come back down afterwards?!)

Does anybody else find it takes their heart a long time to slow down after exercise? Any reassurance would be great :)

j2
24-05-12, 03:52
Ann,

I can't remember where I read it but I am almost positive that this is a sign of being out of shape, nothing else. From what I remember a sign of fitness is how quickly your heart rate returns to normal. I too have anxiety issues and I know how scared you are but I don't think you have anything to worry about. Good luck

J2

ann88
24-05-12, 11:16
Hi J2, thanks for replying. You're right that recovery rate is a sign of fitness, and I hope that's all this is about. I am still young but haven't done proper regular exercise for several years (except the odd couple of weeks here and there.

Its just that the things I read seem to say that you should be back to resting heart rate within about 10 or 15 minutes, and I'm a bit concerned about the fact that I take hours to return to normal.

I guess the only thing to do is start exercising regularly and see if it changes. Its not nice because that uncomfortable feeling puts me off exercising the next day.

Want_to_break_free
24-05-12, 11:32
I'm in the same boat, used to be very fit and healthy!!! Now it takes forever to get my resting heart rate to return to normal after exercise.... just put it down to being unfit and a smoker!!!

Everyone's body is different, some recover more quickly than others ... I used to worry about this alot but after getting back into running regularly and getting my heart rate up to 180 bpm I'm now convinced it's just my levels of fitness!

ann88
24-05-12, 12:29
So its not just me... Phew!! Can I ask how long does it take to get your heart rate back to normal after a run? Thanks

Want_to_break_free
24-05-12, 12:34
it can take up to 2 hours... my heart starts racing even afere a cig!!