PDA

View Full Version : question re: stool color/constipation ... TMI

swgrl09
24-05-12, 13:46
The past few days I have started eating salads at lunch ... including romaine, carrots, tomatos, red peppers. Well when I did this in the past I would have loose stool for a little until I got used to it. So this time it seems I am more on the constipated side and stool is a VERY dark color (I don't know if it is black or dark green) with red and orange in it ... I am guessing because of the salad? But does this sound normal? Why is it making me constipated this time around? I drink LOTS of water.

Jules147
24-05-12, 15:31
It sounds normal. Constipation can be caused by any dietary change or just stress/anxiety. I can go for days or weeks with either loose stools or constipation. There doesn't seem to be a pattern to it as such. Small particles of veg can pass through undigested, especially peppers and sweetcorn.

As they say, shit happens!

swgrl09
24-05-12, 17:23
Thanks. It's just hard to tell if it is just dark green or dark brown or black. If it was black, would it be obvious?

---------- Post added at 12:23 ---------- Previous post was at 11:54 ----------

just noticed when i went to eat lunch that the salad has some dark purple leaves too ... must be the culprit, right?

Breezay
24-05-12, 19:44
I had this problem the last time I tried to eat healthy. I ended up so bloated and constipated, it was just rotten. I had the same problem in the end, undigested spinach in stools and they were a dark colour. It's completely normal for them to be dark because they've been sat for longer than normal. If it carries on too long then try to make your diet change more gradual to let your body adjust.

Good for you for eating healthy though. I really need to do the same.

swgrl09
24-05-12, 20:04
Thank you, that makes me feel a lot better! Honestly, I'm only eating healthy because I am getting married next year and stepped on a scale for the first time in a while this past weekend and WOAH! Also I'm short so doesn't take much to look chubbier ...