PDA

View Full Version : There's Hope!

Michelle2102
24-05-12, 14:14
Hi Everyone,
Just wanted to update my progress. I developed an anxiety disorder four weeks ago completely out of the blue. I wasn't stressed and I wasn't depressed although looking back over the last few years I've probably brushed a little too much stuff under the carpet. But four weeks ago I couldn't get myself off the sofa, I craved medical attention calling the emergency doctor, calling NHS direct etc there was no way I could go in to work to the job I love and I couldn't even walk to the school to pick my son up. I felt hopeless, panic stricken and feared I'd never recover.
Anyway, 21 days ago I started on citalopram 10mg and upped to 20mg after 10 days. I had Lorazepam to get me through the really bad bits but im pleased to say, I took 1mg at night for 4 days then decided i wanted to see how i was without them. I didnt need them. I've had every side effect in the book including heightened anxiety, nausea, intense fatigue, burning, shaking, dizzyness, dry mouth, numb face, insomnia, no appetite (lost a stone!)headaches, etc and also been confused about what's been side effects and symptoms. For every good day I've had a bad one until yesterday when I woke up panic free and ready to face the world again. Last night for the first time in four weeks I slept through the night and today, although there's a little haziness in my head, I've been shopping and met a friend. I'd say I'm 85% me again!
I realise there will be blips and I'm ready for them but I wanted anyone who felt like I did four weeks ago, to know that it does get better. I'm going back to work on Monday! I know we are all different and I wouldn't advise googling too much because there's a lot of stuff out there that doesn't relate to you but because of how you're feeling at the time, you think it does. It made me worse.
The things that have got me this far are...

This website and learning from it, the importance of understanding your symptoms and seeing them for what they really are and changing your mind set to refer to them as flight or fight instead of panic or anxiety.

My relaxation app which includes pouring rain sfx - VERY relaxing to listen to in bed (unless rain winds you up of course... It also includes birdsong, the sea ( with or without seagulls) plane cabin sfx and an erupting volcano - each to their own!!!)

My pills (I know they don't work for everyone)

Taking time off work to relax ( I've been off four weeks). I never get time off to myself and I think this has made all the difference. The weather's been kind too this week.

Give any meds time to work (at least a fortnight) and be kind to yourself. You WILL feel better.

Michelle x

chloe83
24-05-12, 14:59
Hi michelle jusr read ur post,dis u feel like u cudnt leave the house with anxiety n panic attacks

Michelle2102
24-05-12, 17:39
I did Chloe and I've never felt like that before. I couldn't even walk to pick my son up from school which is only around the corner. I had to ring and tell them to send him home. But today I've walked around to pick him up. I've felt great all day today and yesterday.
Are you scared to go out? I've learnt that agoraphobia often develops alongside anxiety and panic. In these last couple of weeks I've set myself tasks even so much as walking to the end of the street and back. You realise when you get back that the anxiety eases off. After doing that a few times I feel I got the better of my symptoms, recognising that it was all in my head and it got easier and easier. :yesyes:

BobbyDog
24-05-12, 17:50
I am really please for you Michelle, it's nice to hear of someone resuming a "normal" life again. You took the bull by the horns and addressed your illness straight away.

I think for some of us it is a little harder as we have learned bad habits over a long period of time, for me 18 years; and I do push the boundaries, but the steps forward are very small ones. I am determined though!

Good luck for the future Michelle:D