PDA

View Full Version : Heat & hyperventilation

Seffie
24-05-12, 19:59
Hi just wondered if anyone else has experienced this.
I have a history of panic & anxiety but have been much better in recent years despite going through a difficult menopause! Sometimes when I have a severe hot flash it causes me to start hyperventilating (chronically not acutely). I saw a respiratory physio who helped me learn some breathing exercises & these have helped a lot.

So today it's really hot, I go to the garden centre & as soon as I start walking around & getting hotter it triggers hyperventilation. My heart rate isn't especially fast but I'm breathing really high up in my chest & just can't seem to stop it, even with my breathing exercises. My chest muscles tighten up & although I can breathe, I'm aware it's really shallow & uncomfortable. I was worried that I would faint in the heat or something. Now that I've cooled down it's stopped but just wondered if anyone else suffers from hyperventilation in the heat or during a hot flush.

I'm just worried that it's not normal & is something I should get checked out. I see people much older than me walking around in the heat no problem. I'm not fit but am a healthy weight.
Btw - I don't have asthma - my doctor checked me already for that. My peak flow was borderline but she said hers was too & she agreed my symptoms were more likely chronic hyperventilation.

Would be grateful for any replies!
Seffie x

BobbyDog
24-05-12, 20:09
I would not worry too much Seffie, the same happened to me today.
I got to the top of the street with my dogs and felt as though I was going to suffocate, it was so humid, I cannot cope with humidity, it brings on panic attack's.
I was about to turn back, but I stopped myself and carried on forwards, knowing that it could be the slippery road to Agorophobia if I did.

So, you are not alone, I think the heat/humdity has that effect on a lot of anxiety sufferers.
Sarah.

Seffie
25-05-12, 17:18
Thanks, appreciate your reply. Although it was hot again today there was more of a breeze so it wasn't so humid & I coped much better in the heat-hope you did too!
Thanks again!
Seffie x