PDA

View Full Version : Reintroducing Alcohol

brentcat
25-05-12, 17:36
Just wanted to know if anyone has successfully reintroduced alcohol into their diet following a period of panic attacks.
I've been suffering from erratic panic attacks for the last six months, maybe 6 all up.
The most recent has taken me about two weeks to recover from properly, only now just starting to relax and get back into my normal rhythm.
I've been avoiding alcohol, and of course drugs, for the last 2 - 3 months in order to try and overcome and it is killing my social life.
Has anyone had any experience with reintroducing alcohol following a similar period?
How should I go about it?
Should I ease into it? Or is it just a matter of avoiding drinking too much full stop? Or is it not worth it at all?

times71
25-05-12, 20:26
Hi

Assuming your not a raving alcholic then my advice is drink how you would normally drink. If not avoiding something you enjoy doing because your afraid a panic attack will come will make the mere idea of drinking an issue. One thing ive learned is that you need to keep things as normal as you can. If not panics will dictate what you can or cannot do. Being social is more important than worrying if you dare have a drink or not. My advise... go out with your mates, have a drink... and if you feel nervous, ride it through and stick two fingers in the air. so basically, if you enjoy a drink, it is worth it.. cus your not letting the panics decide what you can or cannot do.

good luck dude

Meltdown
25-05-12, 20:40
I agree. I am a pretty light drinker these days, but I enjoy a beer most evenings, and maybe a couple at weekends.

I find that as long as I don't feel hungover the next day, I am usually OK. Hangovers are terrible for palps and panic though...

iHeart
25-05-12, 21:11
Personally I just avoid drinking all together. For a lot of reasons and panic attacks are a big part.

SLjimbo
25-05-12, 22:28
Alcohol was a huge factor for my first panic attack a few years ago. I was on Spring Break and went on a drinking binge of god knows what I drank (beer, vodka, wine, whiskey, etc.) Today, I strictly stick to beer; that's it. NEVER start drinking to calm your anxiety. Only drink when you do it sociably with friends and family.

Littlehelper123
25-05-12, 22:40
i wouldn't drink alcohol to solve your panic issues....speak to a doctor, or do what i did and get hypnotheraphy. I didn't leave my house for 6 months and after hypnotherapy i'm normal again...WOOO

purplesky
26-05-12, 00:35
I'm not really sure if you had an issue with alcohol before, or just stopped it to stop exacerbating any panic attacks. Either way, I would recommend not drinking heavily, because it does seem to mess with our nervous system, which might make us a bit more anxious or depressed etc, or more prone to panic.

As a person who self medicated with alcohol for 10 years because of panic disorder and depression/anxiety, I would be aware (and wary) of using it to mask anxiety in social situations, but drinking is something many of us do in moderation, so that's cool.

I still drink, but it is now enjoyable, rather than necessary. For me, it is up to you to make the choice, knowing yourself, and being honest with yourself. A couple of drinks is probably fine, because we have to live life, but too many does seem to cause problems with the old nerves, in my experience.. :)

Jules147
26-05-12, 02:41
I have enjoyed a drink for all of my adult life. I cut my intake considerably while I was suffering last year as the effects, especially hangovers, made me feel much worse. Self-medication with alcohol is an incredibly bad idea. Once I was cured though I found I enjoyed alcohol like never before and it didn't cause relapses.

Good quality beer is my favourite tipple. I like the variety of flavours and the effect it has. It enhances your mood; it doesn't alter it. If your mood is bad when you start it will only get worse.

xvolatileheart
29-05-12, 23:33
I stopped drinking for about 3 months after my panic attacks started in January. This past weekend, I drank for the first time (3 days in a row!) but I kept it very light - white wine spritzers, sipped slowly. I didn't have any problems because I was comfortable and felt ready to have a drink again. Definitely will not be binging ever again.