PDA

View Full Version : heat triggering off anxiety/panic ? any tips?

Littlehelper123
25-05-12, 22:16
so my panic attacks aren't around anymore but as we get into the warmer months i am freaking out! I've associated that whenever i get slightly hot i have horrible anxiety and panicky feelings.

How can i cool down ?

i have college tomorrow in a room full of hot hair dryers ! =/

thanks x

hello
25-05-12, 23:09
hello,

i find the heat offsets my breathing and think its the breathing (as a result of
the heat), that will cause uneasy feeling and then it can escalate from there.

in this weather i find it can help to have a VERY cold shower to give the nervous system a wake up and then remember to breath from the "gut" instead of the "chest" (try not to breath with your rib cage expanding outwards towards your arms but with the area above your navel going forward).

JustJames
25-05-12, 23:11
Hi there, I have felt the same actually in the recent days of hot weather so please don't think you are alone in having these feelings. What i do first is probably the most obvious thing which is to wear very light weight clothes and don't wear clothes that make you overheat and become sweaty or clammy. Also drink plenty of water. Also stop thinking everytime that its hot outside that you are going to feel panicky. These negative thoughts although normal, are helping the panic to remain. If you start to feel scared just try and acknowledge that you are feeling anxious and that you will feel better very soon.

Hope this helps. x

panicpanda
25-05-12, 23:34
You could freeze a bottle of water tonight and when you're feeling too hot hold it to the back of your neck... Also makes for a cold drink once defrosted :)

Wear sandals or something airy on your feet. I think having feet that are too hot affects your whole body. And sit out in the shade on breaks! Splash your face with cold water. Hope tomorrow goes okay for ya x

TheGoldenTomato
28-05-12, 20:40
I've just noticed the same thing happening to me. It's that stifling, muggy kind of heat - like humidity really. It makes it tough to breathe anyway, never mind if you have panic or not.
I try to fan myself or keep some icy bottled water with me to drink and occasionally press onto my wrists to cool my body temperature down. It works pretty well. :)

RavenLight
28-05-12, 20:40
i get the same way. which is odd as i grew up in very hot weather and it's only recently that the heat has set off my panic. i've talked to a few people who don't have panic attacks and they say the same thing, that it makes them feel claustrophobic and uncomfortable and it feels hard to breathe. so, i figure it's a normal reaction for some people, we just fear it. i like the suggestions the others have made. especially freezing a water bottle. i've also found that letting someone know how i'm feeling helps a lot. are you able to let the instructor know how the heat affects you so you can step out for a minute if you have to?
stay hydrated. obviously.
hope all goes well. it's too bad being afraid of the heat as i love the sun. though, i am determined to not let it stop me from enjoying my summer.
keep us posted.