PDA

View Full Version : Introduction

markiemark
26-05-12, 15:43
Hi guys
My name is Mark, am 25 years of age and I have been suffering from panic disorder for about 2 months now. Initially, I thought I was dying and the feelings are so so horrible.

It all started about 8-9 weeks ago, I was sitting in a meeting at work suddenly had a dizzy sensation. As normal I stroked over my face and thought nothing of it. Then I realised that my heart was beating really fast, and I was getting a tingly feeling in my fingers, feet and cheeks. That's when. My dizziness really started to happen. My hearing went weak and my chest was tight. Luckily my partner rushed me to A +E but all results appeared fine. Must of thought it was a one off!

However, since then, these symptoms have been reoccurring more frequently and have become worse. I have been to the doctors a number of times and had ecgs, blood tests, blodd pressure etc all done and all come back fine. After researching it, it appears to be panic attacks turned panic disorder.

It's got to a point now where I'm in fear of fear, and always have the future panic attack in the back of my mind. I know this is wrong but I cannot help it. My last panic attack was about 2 hours ago. My gf and I were simply out shopping when the dizziness started as before. My chest felt tight and feels like someone is pushing against my diaphragm or centre of rib cage.

I would be so grateful if I could hear from you all to get through this horrible experience together. As this is mental not physical, I just need that extra help to stop me from panicking like I do. It's putting strains on my daily routines, and has even stopped me from going to work on occasions. Not to mention the stress my girlfriend is in every time I have one.

Thanks

nomorepanic
26-05-12, 16:01
Hi markiemark

We just wanted to welcome you aboard to NMP. We hope you enjoy your stay here and get all the support and advice you need.

Please take some time to read the website articles on the left as well for loads of advice and tips.

southey
26-05-12, 21:02
Be assured Mark that the panic attacks will do you no harm even though you feel awful.
When you feel one coming just accept it and let it come and pass through you, don't try to fight it, just let it wash over you.

It seems your getting worked up over future episodes which you are fearful of because of the horrid sensations? Any idea what set you off the first time?

I was at one point getting twenty or so panic attacks a day and it was physically and mentally exhausting. But they do go eventually, sometimes on their own but sometimes with help from anti-anxiety drugs and therapy.

Try breathing like 5 seconds in, hold for 5 seconds then breath out for 5 seconds when you start to feel funny. Tell yourself no harm will come to you it's just the bodys fight or flight mechanism acting up.

Hopefully you can overcome this with relaxation techniques and reassurance from loved ones. If you need more help visit your Doc and see what they recommend.

Atb,

Steve.

markiemark
26-05-12, 21:52
Hi Steve grateful for your reply.

To be honest I really don't know what caused the panic attack. I'm in the process of moving home so there might be stress there, but if anything I am happy of moving home not stressful or anxious.

I have been taught certain breathing techniques and have tried them during recent attacks and they do seem to work. Like you say I just have to learn to accept it and wait until it's over.

I am seeing a therapist for CBT in the next couple of weeks so hopefully things might improve. I can honestly say I feel for you with 20 a day!!!! The most I have had a day is 3 and that was a horrible day for me. But well done with your improvements. Sounds as though you are on the right track, and I need to find that myself now. How was your route to recovery?

Regards

Mark

southey
27-05-12, 13:31
Good to hear your trying CBT Mark, I'm about to do a course myself. I did a group course last year but it wasn't my thing so am trying one to one this time.

Yes these panics can come out the blue and is why they can be so frightening. You do learn they are harmless over time but non the less awful. Thankfully my 20 attacks a day was last year and this latest episode of anxiety was much, much less.

I have had several episodes over the last 10 or so years all brought on by Health anxiety (so far non-existent problems!) I have taken Citalopram three separate times now and yes it works well although is hell at first and now am combining it with CBT so will report back as and when.

My recovery process is support from my family, reasoning negative thoughts into positives (quite hard breaking the negative cycle), taking enough time off work to heal as I just can't work when anxious and taking my meds. Gradually I start feeling normal over about a month and after that start feeling good again. Hopefully the CBT will stop or lessen re-occurrences?

Good luck on your journey,

Steve.

terror-x
28-05-12, 02:17
Your in the same boat as me mate health anxiety it can be fixed by not letting your mind control it you need to be the boss don't let it rule you I've had it for almost 11 years I deal with it in my own way when it comes and goes and it's not very often any more