PDA

View Full Version : B12 deficient possible anxiety link?

jayork
26-05-12, 22:08
Just been diagnosed as b12 deficient! i decided to get blood tests to see if there were any underlying medical conditions i had that might be causing my anxiety and panic. Turns out that my b12 deficiency may be involved, after reading about it on the net. Anyone know about this?

oneofus
26-05-12, 22:18
B12 deficit is acknowledged as causing symptoms of depression.

One blood test I had had me deficient but the second was ok, so the doc popped me straight onto Citalopram. He said the other symptoms I mentioned were psychosomatic; odd tongue, sore spots in mouth, fatigue.

What raised your docs suspicions?

One of us

Lilyblue
27-05-12, 09:53
I keep thinking maybe low vitamins are causing my anxiety as I have no idea how this started. I always ask about a vitamin test butt they never give me one

jayork
27-05-12, 11:32
The reason i had tests done were because i had attended some CBT and was advised up front to ask for tests as i had mentioned thyroid problems running in the family and this could be a reason for the anxiety, so there would be no point in paying £100 a go for CBT without exhausting medical problems first! I had also just turned 40 and needed an 'MOT'. My first set of blood tests alarmingly said i had a low white blood count!!! and B12 deficiency! as did the repeat test!!!! BUT the doc assured me the white bloods were up on the 2nd test and only borderline anyway, probably a slight virus(after a month and a half of shitting myself! a simple phone call would make anxious patients lifes easier ffs!) the B12 thing required a more in depth test which i had, this came back negative(b12 still low) but other 'stuff' fine. I have an appointment tomorrow night to discuss my treatment to sort out the deficiency, i think this will probably involve booster injections, as i think my stomach won't absorb b12. I will keep posting here to throw light on this. By the way my thyroid and everything else was tip top.

butterfly00
11-06-12, 22:56
I have just done the same thing. I have a whole list of physical symtoms. and a b 12 deficiency so had a shot 2 weeks ago. I dont know what difference it will make but well see.