PDA

View Full Version : Any fast acting over the counter sedatives?

sedalia
28-05-12, 14:18
I am getting myself in such a state over my smear test appointment on friday morning. I've had agoraphobia and high anxiety for 3 years since just after my last test but have never taken medication. I was wondering if anyone knows of any fast-acting sedative or similar that I can buy over the counter to take before my appointment please. I am almost in tears thinking about it as the nurse hurt me last time and I really need to be able to relax as much as possible. Many thanks for any advice.

Stormsky
28-05-12, 14:47
You can try rescue remedy. And make sure you tell the nurse about your anxiety about it all before she starts... youll be fine.. all be over in no time

dottielottie
28-05-12, 18:05
Can you not phone your doctor and ask for some beta blockers, I know they give them to people for driving tests and mine gave them to me when I had to go to court :)

JohnBliss
28-05-12, 22:21
I too would recommend the Bach's rescue remedy spray
Regards
John

sedalia
29-05-12, 09:02
Thank you all for your kind replies. Does Rescue Remedy work straight away? Just wondering how long before my appointment I should take it.....if I take it when I'm sitting in the waiting room do you think that would be too late? Many thanks.

Rennie1989
29-05-12, 10:53
You will not get any over the counter sedatives because a doctor has to check you over to make sure you can take them and what dose works best for you. Bach's Rescue Remedy is a herbal remedy made from plant extracts, I found it never worked for me (but I've always been sceptical of herbal remedies) but it seems to work for a lot of people.

JohnBliss
29-05-12, 18:24
Hi there
I take the Rescue Remedy as soon as I feel the anxiety building and find that I feel calmer almost instantly
Regards
John

MazF
29-05-12, 18:34
Hi, Rescue remedy is designed to give you instant relief from anxiety. You can get it as drops or a spray. It's pretty good i find.

sedalia
30-05-12, 17:04
Thank you everyone, I shall get some Rescue Remedy tomorrow.