PDA

View Full Version : Feeling really short of breath today

miss_moose
29-05-12, 13:01
For the past few hours I've felt short of breath, it's making me anxious (which obviously isnt helping). But even just standing up to wash up, just sitting watching tv and talking is exhausting and i'm struggling.
I can barely feel my heart beat (although my husband listened to my heart for about 2 seconds before concluding it was "normal" and I can't feel my pulse at all.

I don't know if it's the heat, we live in an upstairs flat and it gets really hot up here. But it's not happened at any other time during this heatwave.

I'm really concerned and my husband isnt taking it seriously. We have guests coming to our house tonight for their tea so he's more worried about us doing house work than my breathing concerns. Running round cleaning up is the last thing i can do!

Any advice or reassurance? Thank you

Jules147
29-05-12, 13:08
You are probably hyperventilating. The heat and your anxiety are obvious triggers.

Practice 7/11 breathing. Breathe in through your nose, counting to 7, pause, breathe out through pursed lips counting to 11. Pursing the lips slows the rate of exhalation. Do this for about 3 minutes. Do not try to sneak in quick extra breaths. Repeat later in the day. Do it while you are doing something else like washing up or walking around. The only thing you can't really do while you practise 7/11 breathing is talk.

miss_moose
29-05-12, 13:10
Thank you, i'll try those.

I'm not hyperventilating though, just trying to stay calm, from the outside i just look serene and calm but i'm struggling.

Jules147
29-05-12, 13:51
Hyperventilation can and usually occurs silently (except on TV dramas.)

Rach29
29-05-12, 13:55
Hi im feeling the same as you today felt a bit breathless yesterday woke up feeling breathless during the night which frightened me a bit but i was ok got back to sleep so its playing on my mind today and making me feel anxious but ive tried to get on with things as im sure its my anxiety i think if we really felt breathless we would be down the hospital instead of worrying and coming on here if it goes in your sleep its anxiety so try not to worry if it was anything else it would be there all the time the more you think of it it wont go try to get up and do something it might take your mind off it a bit hope your ok x