PDA

View Full Version : The future without Paroxetine?

jojonic
30-05-12, 15:19
I've been on Paroxetine / Paxil / Seroxat whatever you want to call it, for around a year now, and I have to say it has changed my life.

I asked for it under the guise of post natal depression, but if Im honest there were major problems there for decades. For years Ive been angry, crying, violent, panicky, stressed and a generally unpleasant person. The meds have changed all that, and for the first time in my life I seem to be able to deal with real life.

I just wondered what happens next. They're starting to make noises about reducing the dosage now my baby is 2, but Im scared Im not ready. I dont want to go back to being that horrible woman I was before. My health visitor asked if I wanted referring for counselling, but I dont see the point. Nothing has happened in my life to make me the way I was, I had a pretty normal upbringing and no major disasters. I think I was just made that way.

Do you just stay on these things forever if you need to? Im sick of the terrible sex to be honest, and my partner is sick of my irresponsible attitude to money, my job and everything, all of which he puts down to the meds.

Dunno, just wondered how long people keep taking this stuff, and if there is a route to getting off them at all?

Im new by the way, although I've been lurking for some time finding out about other peoples experiences on the forum. Great forum BTW :yesyes:

julieannboo
30-05-12, 17:34
welcome.

i was on paroxetine for 9 years when it stopped working it was only until i went to paxilprogress.org last year (which was my 11th year) that i finally realised what was happening to me. i wouldnt wish 'poop out' on anybody - it gave me chronic health anxiety for the past 3 years - which i have never had pre seroxat and wouldnt wish this on any body.

now i am weaning. the safe route with minimal side effects is 10% taper every 3-6 weeks. doctors think that people can get off this junk within a month or two! some can but i do think there are alot of us out there who cant.

it isnt good to be on these drugs long term - a year tops.

yes people have no sex drive on this, some even have got into great debt about not caring about money - as seroxat numbs everything.

best of luck in whatever you decide to do xx

blueshoes
30-05-12, 17:35
Hi there, I am also new to the site so hello:)

I took paroxetine about 15 years ago. It was great for me to. I came off it reasonable well after about a year and was fine, although you have to do it slowly. I am just about to go back on it after taking Citalopram for over 4 years. So fingers crossed it works for me again. Speak to your gp about your concerns of coming off the drug, it has to be the right time for you.

Good luck xx

fred_h
10-09-12, 14:37
I "pooped out" on it after a couple of years too, and it sure wasn't fun, and then the withdrawal has been quite a story... but it really helped me deal with anxiety, and I can confirm there's a future without both anxiety and paroxetine ;)

Iggy131313
11-09-12, 19:06
As mentioned abouve I recommend visitting paxilprogress for loads of advice and help.

But Paxil is notorious for being very difficult to get back on once you come off so be sure its the right decision but as fred h said, there is a future without both.

you dont have to rush into a desision, even if you slowly come down over 6 months to half your dose then that would be a step in the right direction and take it from there.

like pregnancy, you will have plenty of time over the taper to get used to the idea and get everything in place!

good luck whatever you decide to do

blue_haired_devil
09-10-12, 08:49
I'm now about 5 months into being on seroxat and it's the only drug (aside from valium) that actually seems to have helped me in any way.

There are horror stories about it, but there are about effexor and I came off that in 1 month cold turkey with no real problems.

I have no idea if I'll "poop-out" or have trouble coming off seroxat when/if I do, all I know is that it's taken me from a place where I felt I might be near killing myself to a place where I can cope with things. It's not a wonder cure, but it means I can get through the day and right now that's what I need.