PDA

View Full Version : what i would call "overswallowing"

HB
22-05-04, 14:41
Hey everyone,
You all gave fab advice for people who overbreathe but i was wondering if anyone suffers from overswallowing??

I NEED MORE HELPFUL TIPS TO STOP!

thankyou, take care xx:D

H

ana
22-05-04, 18:03
Hi Helen!
I do overswallow sometimes but sorry, I can't give you any tips... I could use some too. Definetely a good subject!
Kiss
Ana

HB
23-05-04, 17:12
it really gets on my nerves and soemtimes i think people can see that i am doing it and might think that i am crazy, come on help us everyone!!!

H

Meg
23-05-04, 18:26
Helen,

It is common and mostly happened to me whan I had a tight throat. Almost as if I was trying to swallow the tightness away. I thought about it and I also do it when I have a sore throat so used those anaethetising throat lozenges and that seemed to help a bit.

I used a cold drink on standby as well

Meg

'There can only be true courage when first there is genuine fear'

Dr.David Livingstone

HB
24-05-04, 19:19
will try as soon as i need to, thankyou very much everyone!

H

benoo5
24-05-04, 23:17
hi helen,

over swallowing can be worrying for you,so i dont want to over simplify this...but its another of those horrid anxiety symptoms...a few years ago,it was found that blowing up a balloon,and then letting the air rush back into the throat,was a way of stopping this,but a couple of people swallowed the ballon,and nearly chocked...but something was learned from this...that was,taking a really deap breath through the mouth,had the same effect...so please try that!

its also,one of those things,that the more attention,that you pay to it,the more you will want to swallow,so we get back to using distraction techniques,that are well highlighted on this forum.

over swallowing can be habit forming,the more you worry about it,the more it will affect you..so relaxing breathing exercises will also help,again these are well documented on here.

as meg says,a cold drink often helps...bach rescue..in a small bottle of mineral water,works wonders,by taking the edge off anxiety,the main cause of your problem.

hope this helps...best wishes...bryan.

HB
26-05-04, 19:11
im still really resally confused about these "remedies", where can i get them from and what do they do?? thanks for aLL the great advice:-)

H

Meg
26-05-04, 19:28
Helen,

There are lots of previous threads about Bach remedies so put it into the search facility up top , plus there are further explanations on the website under natural remedies I think.

Meg

'There can only be true courage when first there is genuine fear'

Dr.David Livingstone

HB
29-05-04, 13:23
thankyou!

H