PDA

View Full Version : Suspicious blood test

paddypause
31-05-12, 11:07
Hi All
I went to my GP last Friday to ask for a blood test to track down allergies as I keep breaking out in hives, She said all she could do at that time was get me a full blood count which I had today. However, having checked out this site and others I can find no mention of allergies. Has this been a complete waste of time? Why is it so difficult to get a test for allergies on the NHS? I am only concerned because as I get older I get prescribed more and more medication and all of them say, "Do not take if you are allergic to any of the ingredients." So I should know what is causing the hives shouldn't I?

rockydog
31-05-12, 17:46
I think it is very difficult to test for allerfies by the blood as they would be looking for something from food to dust to medication to animals to plants to food colouring etc.
I have only ever heard of allergies been tested for by a skin test, that way they can do little patches of loads of different allergens to see which reacts.
hope you are feeling better soon

paddypause
31-05-12, 18:06
Thank you for that Rocky. That's why I was suspicious in the first place. One minute they're telling me they don't do skin tests because they are too dangerous then they tell me a blood test is the way to go. then it just doesn't matter that much because it's only hives. Hah! No wonder no one trust GPs anymore.
Best of luck,
Paddypause

rockydog
31-05-12, 20:05
Yeah its tricky i think if you have some major reaction it shows in your blood test because my father was tested last year. But i dont think hives and minor allergies concern them or show up. My daughter gets hives every time she is nervous :)

swgrl09
01-06-12, 04:09
I think they look at your eosinophil count (could have the word wrong) which an indicate allergic reactions within the body. But it doesn't say what you are allergic to. Have you had a skin test done? It covers loads of stuff and you know the results right there in the office.

Sorry just realized you mentioned the skin test above!

paddypause
01-06-12, 10:33
Hi both, I realise hives are not that life threatening at the moment but what worries me is as I get older I am prescribed more and more meds. They all seem to come with a leaflet that tells you not to take if you are allergic to any of the ingredients and every time I have to go in to hospital for some procedure or other I'm asked if I'm allergic to anything. Well yes I am is the answer but I don't know what. They carry on anyway. I'm growing into these allergies rather than growing out of them so what if there is something dangerous in there? I'm probably worrying for nothing but I don't think you can be too careful Thank you both for your imput, it will be interesting to see if they do refer me for a skin test. When my daughter was about 6 she had to go for a skin test and she was allergic to everything except trees! Thankfully she seems to have outgrown most of that and copes very well.
Paddypause