PDA

View Full Version : Citalopram and Stomach Issues

LAURA48
31-05-12, 14:38
Hi - wonder if anyone can help - been on Citalopram for 5 weeks and the last 2 weeks have jumped up to 40mg - only this past week or so have had very bad dyspepsia/stomach acidity and it really hurts.

Dr has prescribed me some Omeprazole 20mg and was told by the Pharmacist to take the Citalopram with food.

Really would like reassurance that this is normal and will go until my body adjusts.

Thanks in advance

Laura x

dan1234
31-05-12, 14:47
Laura PM'd you - BNF says this - Side-effects of the SSRIs include gastro-intestinal effects (dose-related and fairly common—include nausea, vomiting, dyspepsia, abdominal pain, diarrhoea, constipation).

It is dose dependent, so I would take the omeprazole for a couple of days and see how it goes. Maybe you have shot through the doses a bit too quickly?

Dan

LAURA48
31-05-12, 15:00
Thanks Dan - do you think it will even itself out after a while?

dan1234
31-05-12, 15:02
I think the omeprazole will definitely help, and taking it with food likewise. But yes I do think with time it should get better. Just try the above for a week or two and go from there really is all I can suggest.

LAURA48
31-05-12, 15:06
Ah - that's very helpful Dan - thanks again for all the info.

Laura x

dan1234
31-05-12, 15:17
Ah - that's very helpful Dan - thanks again for all the info.

Laura x

No worries but I would see how it is over the next few days, otherwise lowering your dose of cit for a week or two might be a good idea.

Dan

LAURA48
31-05-12, 18:25
Thanks Dan - am seeing the Psychiatrist on 12 June - obviously if it get really bad will email him!

Laura

pinkdove
31-05-12, 20:17
hiya laura, when i took cit i had the same as you for a couple of weeks when i first started, and a bit with every dose increase, but it did pass, and i got my appetite back and the nausea and the sick feeling stopped.

i wonder if you should have gone to 30mg maybe email your phyc and ask for his advice, so many of us have been over medicated i know i was, i hope you feel better soon xx

LAURA48
01-06-12, 10:36
Hi Pink

Thanks for your advice - I agree personally - think 30mg would suit me better am seeing him on 12 June - will try! and hold out until then - have my lorazepam, omeprazole and probiotic drinks - it has been worse on the second week of increase since last Friday - strangely I had no problem on the 20mg? and this is a big jump.

I was on 20mg Prozac and had the exact same problems but it did go and that got me well but it says 60mg for OCD - so I agree many of us are over medicated.

Thanks anyway - how are you doing are you feeling a bit better.

Laura xx

ps what dose of cit were you taking Pink?

joy
01-06-12, 11:57
I have read they dont prescribe higher than 40mg on Cit anymore NICE guidelines or something

Joy