PDA

View Full Version : New member introduction

Dennis the
31-05-12, 23:26
Hi everyone

Just found this fab site - thank goodness it exists.

I have had depression and anxiety for at least 30 years and have been on and off ( mostly on!) medication for years. For. The past 8 years I have been on mirtazepine and before that escitalopram. I'm currently really struggling and off work, suffering daily panic attacks. In fact I have just got through a terrible one today that prompted me to look for help on the net. The attacks are so intense that at their height I contemplate killing myself just to get rid of the feelings. However I then panic about "what if" I did do that and how it would affect my family....I came looking for advice if there was any short term medication (? Diazepam) I could persuade my dr to prescribe for me when I can't talk myself out of the panic attack

nomorepanic
31-05-12, 23:38
Hi Dennis the

We just wanted to welcome you aboard to NMP. We hope you enjoy your stay here and get all the support and advice you need.

Please take some time to read the website articles on the left as well for loads of advice and tips.

purplesky
01-06-12, 00:30
Depending on your symptoms, betablockers can be very good for alleviating some of the symptoms of a panic attack, such as adrenalin surges, rapid heartbeat. They work for those symptoms, but obviously don't change your thoughts or some other symptoms - they can be useful in giving time to help with any breathing techniques etc.

I've not tried Diazepam myself, but it is one way of controlling anxiety and panic, so if your doctor is willing or you can persuade them that might also be a good route to take.

:)

Wanttofeelbetter
01-06-12, 07:44
Betablockers did not work for me, as I have such a low blood pressure normally, my bp doesn't seem to go up when I panic only my pulse. My pule went to 48 on Betablockers!! Scared to go back to the doctor. Actual panic attacks seem to have stopped at the minute, just get constant worry/fear and if im stressed which seems to be a lot over nothing a pounding/pain in chest.

MazF
01-06-12, 10:00
Hi, Dennis the, welcome to NMP. Hopefully you can find some useful tips to help you manage things. You aren't alone and there are plenty of good folk here who will provide a listening ear and a kind word. Remember, no matter how bad they are, panic attacks cannot hurt you, please try to stay positive. Take care.

waunder
02-06-12, 05:27
Hello Dennis, there great ideas and support here for helping you. If you fight your panic it fights back. If you can try to breath slow and deep and let the waves go through you. You will not die and I know it feels like it but you won't and you are not alone. Many many people have panic attacks and probably feel as isolated in this feeling as you do. Good luck.:)

Dennis the
02-06-12, 21:39
Thanks everyone, the dr did in fact prescribe me the diazepam - I'm aready on a beta blocker for my hypertension

Deenor
03-06-12, 17:01
Hiya Dennis, welcome to the website ..... you will find you are not alone, and the support here is amazing ! :)