PDA

View Full Version : A Day Out!

rb1978
01-06-12, 16:40
Yesterday I went for a day out!! It's kind of a big thing for me because last year, after suffering attacks of vertigo, I started to have problems with agoraphobia. At one point I was struggling to walk around my own village without being terrified but I've gradually built up a few safe places - work, village, local town etc - but I decided recently I need to aim for more.

Set off yesterday to a village I know really well in the yorks dales - it's a 90 min drive but I managed it.

It was scary when I got there but I'd planned in advance what I wanted to do so I didn't have time to think. Had some lunch in a picnic area, went to the riverside - which is about 10 min walk away from the safety of the car. That was a bit scary and I started feeling light headed but I remember reading you're meant to tough it out and stay in the scary place because if you run away the panic won't calm down of its own accord. Sat on a rock and concentrated on stuff around me and breathing deep and the light headedness DID calm down. Once I felt calmer I even went for a little walk for 20 mins or so along the river!

It was a good day all in all. My goal is to be able to go off somewhere for a couple of days later this year so next time I'm going to try overnight up near where I went yesterday as it's not too far from home and I know the area like the back of my hand. It's worth a try I reckon.

mistymoo
01-06-12, 17:58
well done, what an achievement, and hopefully the dales fresh air blew the cobwebs away, brilliant:hugs: