PDA

View Full Version : put it out of your mind or invite it in?

Coral
11-07-06, 18:25
My counsellor suggests techniques like saying stop! in my mind and moving onto positive imagery, (which seemed to be working for a while, but got worse again - i think). on the other hand, lots of stuff I read on the net suggests exposure to the object of fear, getting used to it. I can see how both might work, but they seem to be opposites. anyone have any views on this?

Thanks X

Daisybun
11-07-06, 20:14
Hi Coral, I think as you say both could work, it really depends on the person and which is the right way for them.

Take care
Daisybun

'This too will pass'

Munchkin
17-07-06, 15:39
hey!
i suppose it depends on what your fear is. for example if your afraid of going to the shops, then facing it while using postive thoughts and imagery in your head to help calm yourself may be very helpful. so in some cases the two can be used together.
xx

"A Journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step"

strawberrie
17-07-06, 16:31
hi coral

i posted pretty much the same thing a little while ago, cos i was given both techniques too. everyone thought letting the thoughts in was a better idea. personally i think this is a better approach, but i guess different methods suit different people.

have a look at this, it might help
take care,
mag

thought stopping / thought flooding??? (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=9597)

strawberrie
17-07-06, 16:34
ooooooooo, look at me, i just managed a hyperlink!!! [:I]:D[^]