PDA

View Full Version : Acid reflux

countrygirl
03-06-12, 12:01
I have had haitus hernia for past 25 yrs and was taking pepcid for past 20 yrs but its no longer available as branded med and the generic version famotidine was leaving me with heartburn all the time. Even with the pepcid I still had some heartburn every day but have had camera down 5 yrs and 2 yrs ago that showed no damage to my oseophagus.

I saw my Gp a few weeks ago about the generic drug now working as well as the branded and he suggested I change to ranitidine which I have done but this is no better and still got low grade heartburn most days. I also have a feeling as if I am being strangled if you know what I mean.

I do not really want to go onto omeprazole as it is so strong a drug but on the other hand I am scared that I will get barratts osoephagus ( pre cancerous condition- !% of barratts patients go on to develop cancer) if I have heartburn all the time.

I am due to go bck to my GP in a week or so to report on ranitidine. Does anyone on here take omeprazole???

One part of me wants to have another camera to check for barratts but I get into such a panic having any medical proceedure and have a heartrate and bp that makes them oh and ah at hospital and the thought of all that terrifies me as well so between devil and deep blue sea!!

Magic
03-06-12, 13:37
hi countrygirl,
I take omeprazole,so does my hubby,in fact nearly all my relations.
I must say they are very good, they work very well.
I take them because I take asprin and hubby takes tabs for arthritis they could course ulcers
The down side for me is hair loss, that is one of the side effects.although that does not happen to everyone. The hair loss could be because all meds I take says the same on al----l so I cannot win