PDA

View Full Version : Tuscany success!!

ElizabethJane
04-06-12, 08:25
I came back on Saturday from a cooking holiday in Tuscany. I wanted to tell other NMP members how I coped with my panic and anxiety. I had planned to go for about a year and went with an established travel company. There were twelve of us in the group and some were doing cooking and some pilates. We took over two villas and had our own chef and interpreter. I had a wonderful time. I had not flown in an aircraft for ten years but coped with the queues at the airport and the fact that I could only take hand luggage because of of the baggage handlers strike. I was worried that they would confiscate my meds(I took the lot) at the airport and the only meds I took throughout the week were my lithium and mirtazapine. I did not need any valium. I did take some imodium. There was a lot of wine and as I am vegetarian I did not eat meat. The chef prepared something special for me! Every meal started with pasta or risotto. Sometimes I retreated to my room which had views of the Tuscan hills. I would open the shutters in the morning and watch the mist slowly burning off the hills by the sun. We would have a half day cooking then either an excursion into Lucca or Florence and sunbathing by the pool. I was very fortunate that the group bonded almost immediately and most of us were lone travellers. There were two American, a Canadian lady, three from Scotland, two from Derry in N Ireland and the rest from various places in England. It was a great achievement. I'm not sure that I really wanted to come back home. We made pasta on the terrance in the open air and each cookery lesson started with chopping rosemary and sage gathered from the garden to be chopped for the 'soffrito' I asked for extra water as I did not want to get dehydrated as it was very hot.I coped with the queues, the late nights, and our driver getting lost and not finding our villa. My back was also good part from standing in Florence. It was worth it and I want to go again next year. EJ.

nicola1980
04-06-12, 09:00
Well done :D im off abroad in a wks time and hope i cope aswel as you have :D x x

macc noodle
04-06-12, 09:02
Well done EJ - it sounds like you had a fabulous break and that you have done brilliantly and broken some barriers :yahoo:

I rarely come onto NMP these days but it is lovely to see a member who helped me so much doing so well herself

xxxxxx

Macc noodle

ElizabethJane
04-06-12, 09:38
(((Nicola)) ((Mac)) sometimes you just have to reach out and do what you want to do. I had a lot of anticipatory anxiety before I went but I went with a good tour company and we were with a small group so we got to know each other really well. Knowing when to take my meds was a bit of a challenge did I go an hour ahead (Italy time) or BST. I did both and still here to tell the tale! Thanks guys. EJ

oneofus
04-06-12, 10:28
That was wonderful! Please can I have a signed copy of the recipe book when it comes out, and distribution rights to the film which undoubtedly must star Penelope Cruz. Congratulations.

One of us

eternally optimistic
04-06-12, 10:46
WELL DONE ELIZABETH

What a fabulous opportunity - sounds really great.

Well done on your amazing achievement.

You have given me hope that my holiday in August can and WILL be done.

Here's to next year for you.

joy
04-06-12, 13:03
how amazing EJ you must feel great, the days of me going on holiday seem a life time away

Love joy

Magic
04-06-12, 13:12
WELL DONE Elizabeth Jane you have done well.Must have been woderfull.
Me and hubby flying for the first time end July. Its only to Jersey but I wanted to have the experiance of flying . I have my panic tabs ready and imodium just in case.
My hubby is more nervous about going than me.
Take care:hugs:

ElizabethJane
04-06-12, 16:04
Thank you Magic. Thanks guys for supporting me through all this. I feel very happy that I was able to do this. It is good that the support is still there when I come home. Thanks NMP. I'm feeling a little euphoric. EJ

joy
04-06-12, 18:31
Just sounds what us anxious people can do

Joy

pinkdove
04-06-12, 19:01
well done elizabeth, you are stronger than you think, and the holiday sounds lovely xxx