PDA

View Full Version : stigma of mental health

rebeccad
04-06-12, 14:44
Hi guys thanks in advance for reading, ive been a member for a few years started off with a massive ms/als fear obviously i havnt got either (fingers crossed) but now my fear has moved to cancer in the past 2 months ive obsessed about lung,mouth, throat, thyroid, breast and probably others to. I cant even stand to here of anybody having the disease and im always the one that people seem to innocently tell horror stories of young people getting it to. Im getting older now 32 and feel that sooner or later i will get it as i know the chances increase with old age. I have recently suffered with a dry mouth/tongue the doc was lovely but refused to examine me and has said he is going to call the local mental health team as he knows them personally to get me in the systom quicker. A lady at work today commented on how id lost some weight this has sent me into overdrive as i have not been dieting and now im worried i have cancer/diabetes. Anyway im so embarassed to be going to the mental health clinic i feel there is such a stigma attatched to it and im not even telling my husband and family. It is the second time i have been and i feel that having health anxiety is looked upon as a joke, people are always laughing and commenting on me being a hypocondriach obviously they dont know the full extent on how it affects every waking thought.

I know i need help because i dont go an hour without thinking about being ill but im worried the people at the clinic will think im not worthy enough when maybe there is people in greater need than me .

thanks for reading xxxx

Mick081081
04-06-12, 15:05
Hi,

Don't be ashamed of having an illness and don't be afraid to talk to people about it as a problem shared is a problem halved- this is so true! So you are going to the clinic to get some help for your illness- good on you! Don't hide it from people tell them and anyone who turns there nose up at it isn't worth the time of day.

I've told everyone of my problems and not had one person be horrible about it in fact the more people I've told the more surprised I am of how widespread mental health issues are and how many people I know that have suffered in silence, don't be one of them as bottling up problems only create problems.

If you catch the flu everyone sympathises with you and by telling them about your troubles they will help you out so don't hide away.

Me not talking to anyone caused major problems and I now know I can talk and express how I am feeling and it helps loads.

I've been on Citaloram a while now its been good to me and my anxiety is gone, hope you go on ok at the clinic and remember your not alone there's loads of people out there suffering so stay on this forum and share your fears it's full of great people.

Good luck.

Mick.

rebeccad
05-06-12, 10:40
i know what your saying but i feel so embarassed, its just the whole stigma around it. I feel old before my time and should be enjoying my life, instead i have so many symptoms my husband thinks im a nut job and is ready to walk x

dan1234
05-06-12, 10:54
I thought the same when I was referred to see a shrink. He has helped so much, so now I just think ******** what people think ... if it helps you, then all is good.

Dan

joy
05-06-12, 11:51
When I was sitting chatting with the shrink yesterday I was thinking most people i know would be amazed that the Joy they know was even seeing a shrink let alone on meds

Joy

grotbags
05-06-12, 11:55
I feel the same issue with stigma and I have gone to great lengths to hide my illness. In my case I've been unlucky because I have even experienced stigma from the people who were meant to be treating me, but from what I've heard this is the exception and not the rule. I must admit I was also really embarrassed to go to the clinic - a small building hidden away in the corner of the hospital complex. But I just reminded myself of everyone else I knew or have heard of who've had to go through the mental health system. I think that's what gave me the strength to do it. We don't talk about it and then we keep the stigma going. I am guilty of that and I'm ashamed because if we all came out about it, it would help to lessen the stigma. We could make a group effort to work on it, but it's easier said than done. However hard it feels to be involved with the mental health system, this could be a huge part of your recovery so it's probably going to be worth it in the end.

rb1978
05-06-12, 18:30
When I was signed off work last year for a few months I was signed off with the symptoms I was experiencing rather than having the word "anxiety" on my sicknote. I did however make sure my line manager and the office manager knew that there was an underlying problem and that I was struggling.

But I still sense the stigma. When I was off my boss texted me the odd time and when I went back, although the office manager was v good, the rest of my colleagues just blatantly didn't speak about me being off. They're the sorts who are really into each other's lives (and often in a bitchy way unfortunately) but no-one said anything to my face. In fact my line manager didn't even ask how I was doing after the first morning back.

A colleague was off recently for a similar length of time with a physical problem - a joint problem that needed a minor op. She's had no end of support, our manager rang her loads and some colleagues even went to see her to see how she was.

But then her illness was something straightforward.

BobbyDog
05-06-12, 19:28
I agree with Mick, When people ask me why I am not at work anymore, I tell them that I have panic attacks, most people don't know what they are, but they realise it is a mental health problem and either ask more about it or look embarrassed.
I may sound as though I find this easy, but I don't, discussing it with people makes me really anxious and I hyperventilate, but I got sick of making excuses and I do not like to lie.

About the clinic, we have a free NHS in this country and if you had broken your leg you would get immediate attention and not question it:hugs:. You have a mental health problem and you wait months to be seen, you deserve the help because you have an illness.

joy
05-06-12, 19:43
its appaling one has to wait so long to be seen with mental health Problems .No wonder there is a number of suicides or people completely losing the plot

Joy

Zingything
05-06-12, 20:13
I agree that there is still a huge stigma surrounding mental health, of varying degrees, dependent on whether the illness is stress, depression, OCD, anxiety, panic, bipolar, Schizophrenia etc.
It would be ideal if we could tell people about our illness and be treated exactly the same as before but sadly in my experience this hasn't been the case. My husband was bipolar, and after being off work for a few weeks in order to sort out his medication, decided to let a few 'trusted' work colleagues know. The relationships deteriorated, my husband was even taunted by one person, a woman, who called him 'fruitcake' and thought it was quite funny. The social phone calls and emails stopped and he was the only one not invited to a colleagues leaving party. Needless to say my husband felt so uncomfortable about all this that he eventually left his job, his illness more severe than it had ever been.
I have anxiety, depression and panic and only one close friend knows the ins and outs of my illness and I felt I could speak to her as she has a daughter currently going through the mental health process at hospital. I shouldn't have to hide my illness and feelings but I choose to, I don't want to risk having to face the 'stigma' and fight a battle that could make me feel even more isolated and ill.
I'm sure we all have had different experiences, some positive like the other posts have discussed, but not in my case sadly.

Humly
06-06-12, 08:39
Its so sad that things are like this. Please try not to be ashamed of going to the clinic and please tell your family whats happening as you need support. I know what its like to be feeling like this and I too am ashamed of the way I feel and react to certain things, thats why I visit this site. I dont want to burden my husband, friends and colleagues so keep it all bottled up which is no good. I even hide stuff from my husband and he knows what I am like. There are many many people out there with mental health issues but you just wouldnt know it as we all hide it for fear of what others might think. I just wish there was more help available on the nhs as it seems that you have to jump through hoops and wait forever to be seen. I'm sure things will be fine at the clinic and you will get the help you need. Good luck.

Bramwell
06-06-12, 08:56
Stigma? Oh, yes. :mad:
I am currently detailing my own journey (currently reaching the Stigma stage), in the Prozac thread.
I honestly wish you luck. Be prepared for battles, ignorance and indifference...oh and fear. That's people being afraid of you. They think it's catching.:lac: