PDA

View Full Version : Employment

geordievic
12-07-06, 00:35
I'm not sure if i'm posting this in the right place but here goes...

I left my job a couple of months ago because of my phobia, I was constantly having to ring in sick etc because i was to scared to go to work incase there was a storm. But i'm strugglin for money now and want to get a job.

Since I left work I've been alot more relaxed and calm without having the constant worry of 'can i go to work today' and worrying about letting people down.

But now i'm worrying about gettig a job! Do you explain what kind of situation your in when you go for an interview? or do you keep quiet and hope you'll be ok?

I get really worked up when I have to explain my problem because i find it hard to explain, so i guess i'm really asking how you've handled employment in the past and whether employers have been supportive when you explain??
Is it better to tell or keep quiet?

Vicki
xx

Eclipse
12-07-06, 10:35
Hi Vicki,
I'm in exactly the same boat as you at the moment - only difference was I was politely 'let go' a few weeks ago cos I "obviously wasn't happy in the job". They knew nothing of my SA cos, with it being a small company they were all friendly enough to discuss everything & I didn't want it to be a topic of ridicule. I'm in a constant battle with knowing what I want/ought to be doing to get another job but it's so daunting - I don't handle interviews too well (as hard as I try) and I take rejection even worse. I have an appointment at the job centre on Monday re jobseekers allowance but have been wondering whether to confess all to the advisor or put my mask on & keep quiet. This hasn't stopped me from applying for jobs but it seems that people are happy to interview me based on my CV then are disappointed with the interview outcome, don't know how they'd react if they knew about the SA!
(I'm poop at selling myself at the best of times):(
I really hope you get some good advice (which I'll be taking on board too!!) and keep your chin up. Let me know how you're getting along & GOOD LUCK!!
Best Wishes
B Wolf
XXXXX

brentor_wolf

geordievic
13-07-06, 00:44
Hi brentor,
Well i've made a start by doing a CV, but i still don't no what to do.. :-( It's so hard because I no I can give 100% in whatever I do (Cringe-- i hate that expression), except for when it comes to attending work and thunderstorms :-(
I think i'll wait until september when i start to feel more comfortable about everything... arrrrgggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhh its driving me nuts!!

Vicki
xx

EebyJeeby
13-07-06, 01:25
I'll let you know - I've got an interview on Friday!

It's the first one since I left my stressful job last month (although I'd been off sick for 8 months with anxiety etc). It's only a part-time job as I'm taking things steady but I'm not sure if or how I'll explain the past 8 months! I'm just going to play it by ear and only let on if it becomes relevant.

Eeb x

Eclipse
13-07-06, 09:32
Hi Vicki
Well done with the CV - it's a step in the right direction.
I know what you mean re the frustrations of knowing you can give 100% but there are conditions attached.
Have you ever considered working from home? I'm not talking about the "earn ££££'s filling envelopes" , "I earned £250 in my first week!!" "full time pay for part time hours" type of thing cos they're scams & slave labour, (oh..and never trust anything that requires money up front!) but there may be something genuine out there -it'd just be a case of going down the right route to find the genuine sources.
It's just a thought!:)

And Eeb - "Tons of Good Luck for the interview tomorrow"!!:D

B Wolf
XX

geordievic
14-07-06, 01:10
I think thats what i'm gunna do eeb, good luck with your interview :-)

I've spent hours searching for working from home brentor, but i can never find anything except the get rich quick schemes, shame really coz i could do with it lol ...
Do you know any genuine sources icold give a try?

My friend has just applied for a superisor job and it looks like shes gunna get it, she said i can go and work for her lol, that would be fun.. i'd get away with murder hehe

Vicki
xx

Eclipse
14-07-06, 11:14
Hi Vicki,
It'd be nice if you got the chance to work with your friend cos then you'd have the added bonus of having someone there that understood your fears - but would you get any work done for all the giggling that'd go on?
Hee Hee :D
I found this link by the Office of Fair Trading: http://www.oft.gov.uk/Consumer/Scams/Home.htm
which seems quite good - it first lists all the things to watch out for, then at the bottom gives a link for a genuine route.
Don't know if that's of any help.
Best Wishes
Magz (ex brentor_wolf)
XX