PDA

View Full Version : Can you get arm ache from anxiety?

Jsp
04-06-12, 21:09
After numerous chest pains and stuff, I was set into a state of panic and ended up A&E. They done an ECG and blood test and told me I was fine and that the chest pains are a secondary symptom of my anxiety (I was panicking about heart attack, heart rate went over 150!)

About two nights before I went to A&E, I started getting an aching, burning pain inside the left side of my body around my ribs, going up into my armpit. This pain in my rib area has since subsided, but I am left with an aching tender pain around my shoulder, neck, and down my arm and into my hand. My shoulder feels really tender to the touch if I push my fingers in, in comparison to the other shoulder.

Can you actually get pains like this from anxiety? I recognise chest pains and other stuff as anxiety but I've never had pains such as these before :S

The only relief I can get is by actually laying on that arm.

Lizziesaurus
04-06-12, 21:52
I get pain in the left side of my chest that comes from back pain which is made worse when I'm stressed and anxious. It scares me half to death and do my best to ignore it as I know it's all related, even if sometimes my back isn't hurting.

I think what happens is you get an odd pain and go OH MY GOD WHAT THE HELL IS THAT!!?!?! I know I do haha! Then as daft as the brain is you worry about it and the pain stays/comes back alot etc

I would say however have you bumped your side recently or maybe slept funny? Your anxiety probably isn't helping but it could be a muscular thing, or bruising. Have you tried ibuprofen regularly throughout the day? See if that helps :)

Jsp
04-06-12, 21:56
Yeah I do that haha it's horrible!

And nope I don't have any memories of injuring it lately :S although yes I could have slept funny without realising it.

I can't take ibuprofen or aspirin :( been taking paracetamol but it doesn't really help.

I'm hoping it is just muscular as I'm panicking about heart problems!

JulieJay92
04-06-12, 22:47
i get aches in my left arm all the time and i panic like u

But 14 years on im still here and no heart attack but now ive got shooting stomach pains and im thinkin here we go again as my chest is tight although it is 15 degrees here tonight)

Jsp
04-06-12, 23:01
I'm getting pains around my chest and stomach at the moment too :( shooting pains. Aswell as the ones down my arm and shoulder. Hope you find a way to help your pains x

chris9642
08-06-12, 17:37
It's funny how we all run off on different tangents - I have a dull ache in arm but never once considered heart problems - mine is always neurological worry - not only do I have crippling health anxiety it's now moved into its own little subcategory of neurological health anxiety haha .... Not even remotely concerned about heart problems ..... I sometimes literally just sit at work and wait for a symptom to appear .... And when it does I'm like OH MY GOD I KNEW IT - ...