PDA

View Full Version : Should I see G.P or sef help?

Wanttofeelbetter
06-06-12, 11:34
Hi everyone, I am seeing my G.P tomorrow for something else, wondering whether to mention my anxiety? Peoples experiences/thoughts much appreciated. Since last year with my initial panic attacks I have done quite well on my own but recently things are quite bad, my symptoms are:

1) Occasional panic attacks sweating, shaking, breathless the usual/ Regular palpatations/chest discomfort.
2) Constant feeling of dread, if something is going good see it as an omen it will fail soon.
3) Phone calls/emails esp from work think will be bad news (had this previously in vile old job which was initial cause of issues last March)
4) Bad/negative thoughts about my lovely partner, bad dreams about him.
5) Weight loss which G.P knows about (7 pounds in 6-8 weeks)

I think I just go along and accept the anxiety but if the panic attacks are starting again I can't stand it.

Now I've noticed the issues wondering if self help could work? Scared of antidepressants I was offered previously, not currently feeling depressed however worried this could happen.

Any advice appreciated,

purplesky
06-06-12, 12:08
Hi there, I think it can be helpful to try self help first, though doctors can be helpful as well. If you are clear with them, then medication can be a last resort, and they should be able to refer you for further help such as CBT, counselling etc. Or, you could try and see someone privately for help, or self help books, meditation, relaxation CD's.

Personally, I think a combination of all is useful, so for me thats doctors, medication, books, mediation, relaxation CD's.

I wouldn't rule out medication, because it can be really good, and you can be in control of it, so coming off when it feels right. It doesn't always have to be for life. It is your choice of course. Panic can be debilitating, and I think it sounds like you want to work on that which has got to be good.

As someone who resisted medication for many many years I eventually surrendered to it and it has helped, but is not a miracle cure, more of a crutch or support to allow other help to work.

I hope you find the right way for you. good luck :)

Wanttofeelbetter
06-06-12, 12:28
Hi, thanks for your reply,

I tried counselling last year after the initial trauma but found it made me feel worse by dredging up negative thoughts (I can do plenty of that on my own! :D)

CBT I fancy as I think I need a method of changing how I think/respond to things

The only thing is I don't want to have to tell work and getting time off will be a problem.

Have you tried CBT? I am going to look into it some more,

Thanks again,

H

purplesky
06-06-12, 14:43
I've not tried CBT yet, but doctor has suggested it, so maybe that will happen.

Some people get good results from it for like you say, changing your responses to thoughts and so helping to avoid negative thought processes and the path that can take us.

Finding the time is difficult, maybe after hours is possible. Also, maybe there are some other resources you could try in the meantime. There are some very good books you can get for anxiety which give tips and info about how to manage it. You don't have to read them from cover to cover and can dip into what is relevant to you.

Hope you get the help you're looking for.