PDA

View Full Version : Struggling to accept depression..

Hellington Boots
06-06-12, 14:39
Hi all,

Just wonder if anyone else struggles to accept they are depressed? I have usually always been a happy upbeat person but have recently developed anxiety and depression. I cant tell which came first, but i suppose it's possible that I have had some degree of depression for a while. I know I have certainly felt low and had some financial difficulties and other stressful life circumstances that have made me feel so down for a long time. I realise that perhaps over the last year I have avoided social situations and lacked motivation - so perhaps these were the early signs. What bothers me though is that my friends have had much more stressful life circumstances recently and they're not off work with depression. I feel like im being silly!!

My doctor has put me on citalopram, i am having CBT and I have had to be signed off work.

I dont like saying im depressed, i dont want my friends/colleagues to know and i have tried to discount the fact that i might be for some time...

xxxx

purplesky
06-06-12, 14:53
Yes, I still struggle to accept it after many years. There is a lot of stigma in society surrounding it, so we all strive to avoid it, until it bites and we have no choice but to accept it I think.

Hopefully in most cases it is treated and the person moves on, but in some cases it goes on longer and that becomes difficult, because in my experience, other people can have just as much problem with accepting mental illness as we do.

It is individual, but getting support and help gives the best possible chance for recovery, so that is something to hold onto. As to who we tell, because it is still perceived negatively, choosing who to confide in is a minefield. Sometimes though, it can be a relief to tell people. It depends on our circumstance I suppose.

You know what, its normal to feel down occasionally, but sometimes that goes further and needs treatment whether meds or therapy or both. Being mentally well or being mentally ill is not quite so black and white as society likes us to believe I feel.

shotokansho
06-06-12, 14:54
It's truly horrible. I hate feeling depressed and I always try my best to hide it, I'm getting good at that now too! Until it all gets stored up and I end up exploding and being unable to control my emotions. I feel the same, like I don't deserve to be depressed and that there are many more people out there that have probably dealt with so much more and they seem strong and happy, which makes me quite envious to be honest. It's a hard road to go down and when I have good times I focus on that and try to use that to pull myself out of my depressive state.

Hellington Boots
06-06-12, 15:06
Thanks guys,

Glad it's not just me. I guess we're all individuals and can never predict why some people get low and why some don't. Fingers crossed we can all recover!

xxxx

Alicat
10-06-12, 14:29
Yeah, I'm the same. I don't really talk about it with my family, although they know I get depressed. I have some friends I can talk to and be honest with so I can accept it with them. With other people I don't because of the stigma attached to it.

I guess it's hard to think of myself as having depression cos I'm a bubbly person by nature.