PDA

View Full Version : PFO Worry

Trbfan
07-06-12, 02:50
I really need some reassurance right now. Through all of the many medical tests I had, the only doctor said I had a very small pfo in the heart. Now..My heart doctor said that there is no issues from it, but I just looked it up and it would seem to me that a pfo goes hand in hand with a stroke risk. I also read of people having strokes at ages even in their 20s. What a PFO is is a small slot that doesnt fully close. Everyone's is open when they are born but in 1 out of every 4 people it doesnt fully close. Most people never even know they have one. Even though the doctor who did my TEE said he could barely even find mine. I am now freaking out in one of the worst ways of my life that I could be at a dramatically increased risk of heart attack or stroke. I always dramatically worry about blood clots, but this now has me feeling even more like I cant do anything.

I need some reassurance. I've known about this since October of last year, but I hadn't brought myself to look at it online until now...Now I'm absolutely devastated. I did find one page saying that they thought the stuidies on increased stroke risks are wrong, but I don't know. I just need some advice. Really like to hear from someone else that might have one.

Anxious_gal
07-06-12, 08:13
I get migraines, palpitations, sinus tacycardia all which increase my risk of having a stroke .
Glad I'm not on the pill too lol
There's lots of things which increase your risk of having a stroke.
Hell even serious athletes have a higer risk of having a heart attack.

It's like everything causes cancer from the sun to food additives .

It's just one of those things you have to accept, it doesn't mean you will actually have a stroke . The doctors aren't worried and they know more about this stuff than we do, they have real life experience, not just reading it up on the Internet.

I know taking a baby aspirin every day reduces stroke risks.
But I don't like taking meds, but I would maybe ask your doctor for advice on that?