PDA

View Full Version : Panic attack and the gym

robertz
07-06-12, 05:08
OK so I’m 29 and have been working out for about 3 years about 2 to 3 hours a day 4 to 5 times a week. I know that’s a lot but it really stopped my panic attacks which were real bad. Then about a month ago I went to the gym and while I was running towards the end of my workout (which consists of cardio and strength training) and I felt a jolt like my heart skipped a beat then I felt like I was about to pass out. It lasted till I got home. At first it only happened towards the end of my workout and slowly started happening earlier. Today it happened during my first exercise (a feeling of chest pain and feeling woozy) and freaked me out so bad I just took off.

Sorry this is so long but my question is does this happen to anyone else and if so what did you do? This was my escape from anxiety and now its taking this from me too :weep:. Oh and I’ve had many tests done a while ago but haven’t had anything recent in about 2 years due to no health insurance. Would appreciate any advice. Thanks

waunder
07-06-12, 06:19
Well I work out as well the same amount actually. It is a lot but as long as you have rest days it should not be a problem. In saying that many things and changes can happen to affect your health and working out. I get all kinds of weird feelings when I am doing my cardio especially. If you have a virus or infection. Hormones, low or high sugar. Monthly bleeding. Over load of adrenalin. New meds ,allergies as well. I hate when I get huffing for breath it makes me feel like I am hyperventilating, which can make me panic but I am learning to not let it control me and what I need to do for myself. I hope this helps and I really want to say that if there is a change in your routine that worries you always see your doc. It is for the best and the safest way to go for peace of mind if all else is well. Good luck.

xvolatileheart
09-06-12, 15:11
I get those heart feelings as well, and when my panic was at its worst, I got all kinds of weird sensations while working out. Once my heart tests came back normal, I've been able to work out with no real problems so it must have mostly been in my head. I still will feel dizzy or feel a weird heart sensation if I push myself hard, but that's normal, it could happen to anyone.

Lilcharlie
11-06-12, 00:02
Ive had to stop going to the gym now as a few months ago when i did go there, i would be on the crosstrainer and i would go all dizzy and fely my heart skipping and it did this 3-4 times in a row, freaked me right out it did, and every other day i went there it would do the same so i stopped going, i got told that its just your heart getting the blood flow around the body as your pushing yourself hard, i got so freaked out i stopped going x

BryanP
18-06-12, 13:19
I never had a panic attack at the gym, but I must confess I always was afraid of that. I believe it's one of the worst moment to get it.

m.elise
18-06-12, 18:52
I've had the same experience. I consider myself to be in good shape, and I use exercise as a stress release. Then I started having little meltdowns on the treadmill and had to stop my workout.

The thing is to not let it psych you out and keep at it when you feel up to it, because the exercise is really beneficial.

amyg82
20-06-12, 14:25
I get the heart palpitations when i exercise too, they cause most of my anxiety issues, they got caught on the stress test that i had done and the cardiologist said i'm fine to exercise, he thinks it's just adrenaline type hormones being released that causes them.

As long as you have had all the heart tests done you will be fine, you just need to get it into your head that you will be ok, but i know it's hard. xxx

Meewah
21-06-12, 18:45
My first and only PA was at the gym after a 3 hour workout. I was doing some bench presses and I felt a little tired and out of sorts and I felt only what I can describe as a pulled muscle sensation over my heart area, so i stopped got up and decided to do some sit ups, that is when i felt light headed and spaced out. I felt this unbelievable feeling to go have a shower get dressed and go. The rest is history and that is why I am still here. That was in Nov 2006. I have since been once to the gym since that PA and felt light headed again so i have given up with gyms and do less High intensity exercise like walking (fast). The docs said that High intensity cardio workouts can set off a Panic Attack.

Keep exposing yourself otherwise you will get an aversion to gyms like me.

Good Luck

Mee

ashurrutia
28-07-13, 01:02
Ok I shouldn't really read these threads as all they do is just give me new ideas, but I'll share my experience. A while back, like 3 months ago I was getting the whole weird heart feeling, but truth is, I was getting it while exercising, and while I was just resting, so it didn't depend on exercise. Just recently I got it while doing some back exercises, but I just pushed through it. I personally do not think is the heart, and even if it were your heart, highly unlikely in a 29 year old, then exercise would be the best thing you could do for it. Exercise has been proven to stop and even reverse heart disease. So just push through the pain, heck I get dizzy and out of breath every time I run, but I complete the goal I set, and afterwards I feel awesome for doing so. Let the heart skip beats, let it race, let it jump with joy, just let it be. I know it is hard, but we didn't care about it before we got health anxiety, and we managed just fine.

rahul
29-07-14, 14:40
Hi robertz.. Hows u? Hope evrything will b fine. I hv hd these kind of sensations in gym bt now it seems ok. First of all do sm lite work for smtime like for 1 or 2 months n see is there any progress n one thing more check your meals is there any type of stimulant u r taking like caffiene based? They make situation worst n r really dangerous. I was using nox pump at gym which contain caffiene in it when i got first panic attack n i thought that today m gonna pass out. I went for all tests of heart like ecg, echo n blood tests all came normal thn again i got same situation. I was so tensed at that time n i came across this valuable site NO MORE PANIC. I thanx a lot to Admin NICOLA, her work is helping numerous people. So from here i got that its all because of caffiene. I immediately cease its use n m ok no since from 1 n half year. It takes time bt m sure its tottaly curable. But takes sm effort n time. N one thing more its all about mind game. Keep yo mind calm n be possitive. As BUDDHA said WHAT WE THINK WE BECOME. So think healthy n be healthy. Try some meditation. Gud luck bro

krischoy
03-08-14, 08:18
Hi,
I think the reason for that happen maybe you are over fatigue. If you happen to experience that problem again just relax, sit and deep breathing exercise. We experience chest pain sometimes if our body is short of oxygen the heart compensates for the lack of oxygen. Maybe that is the reason why you experienced chest pain. Just relax and take it easy.