PDA

View Full Version : Smoking panic

terror-x
08-06-12, 02:22
Ok so I have stopped smoking after 17 years of doing it and to be honest I'm glad I was loseing my breath so much quicker couldent hardly do anything active without being out of breath every 2 seconds so I want it gone..

BUT

I've been told stopping can kill you I allso am in abit of a panic about lung cancer throat cancer I know my health anxiety is abit high but I just need some help that's all with it I've been in control of my anxiety for the last 11 years but to be honest I feel asif I'm starting to lose it again

---------- Post added at 02:22 ---------- Previous post was at 02:10 ----------

I've allso been reading up on somthing called vivid dreams witch to be honest panics me because apparently the dream is almost real in your mind so waking up with palpitations is to going to be good when it sends you straight into. A panic attack and anxiety attack .

BobbyDog
08-06-12, 11:56
I am a smoker and dare not stop because I feel it may increase my anxiety.

WELL DONE YOU for having the courage to stop!!!!!!!!!!!

If you have only recently stopped, could it be withdrawal from nicotine, causing panic/anxiety attack.

Mountainclimber
08-06-12, 12:00
Well done keep off the fags, you will start to breath more easily, and get your energy back, plus you have just reduced your risk of heart disease. Good luck and stay off them

nomorepanic
08-06-12, 12:30
How can stopping smoking kill you?

terror-x
09-06-12, 07:06
Been a couple of days now coughing up horrible brown stuff patches are doing good but they are hurting my arm NMP I read that on google through lack of nicotine

waunder
09-06-12, 07:38
Hope you can stay off. If your on the patch then you can slowly whittle the nicotine away. Oh your mouth will lose a layer of skin so do not get upset if your mouth gets raw it is normal and will go away, be proud you just took a step towards a healthier life.:)

Rennie1989
09-06-12, 12:42
Who ever told you that stopping smoking kills you need a good kick up the backside.
No. It. Does. Not.

Very well done for quitting! You couldn't offer me any advice, could you? If you're worried about the side effects of smoking then I recommend nicoteine replacement therapy (in the form of patches, gum, tablets, etc) as they relieve the withdrawals.

MazF
09-06-12, 12:57
Stopping smoking abruptly will not kill you. The patches will help take the edge off your cravings, you say you are getting some arm pain with them, are you changing your site of application every day? They will irritate your skin if you don't use alternate sites. The brown mucus you are bringing up is perfectly normal and could in fact be viewed as a positive sign, your lungs are beginning to clear themselves of the mucus accumulated from years of smoking. Giving up smoking is not easy but it is worth it, your risk of heart disease, cancer etc will immediately start to reduce once you quit smoking. Well done and keep up the good work, you can do it!

Jamesflames
10-06-12, 13:32
Giving up smoking is a really good move. There are a few factors that could temporarily increase your anxiety though. Cravings are a nervy feeling which will tail off after a while. Try to think of them as a good opportunity to practice relaxation methods. Also you will be getting more oxygen than you are used to which can make you a little dizzy sometimes. Again the feelings will pass quite quickly and are a sign of a beneficial thing. Oxygen is good!

terror-x
10-06-12, 22:44
Hi guys that's reassuring a lot I've been stopped now a week patches are doing good starting to feel better everyday with my breathing just that general health

I was allso told I will put a lot of weight on but I go gym 3 time a week anyway so I'm sure that will help me out