PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety that lasts over 24 hours and doesn't stop?

LiveAboveIt
08-06-12, 02:28
I just need a little reassurance here that I'm not alone.. I have seemingly uncontrollable anxiety.. It appears to last all day, everyday. Some days are better than others, but these last two days have been the worst... I had a really hard time going to sleep last night because of it.. When I believe that my mind was about to fall asleep, I would feel this sudden burst of adrenaline/panic in my chest that would knock me out of it, almost as if my body accidentally stopped breathing for a moment. This happened over and over until I just started having a panic attack and decided to get up. (Note: This doesn't happen when I don't have panic, so I don't think it's sleep apnea, because I sleep fine usually.)

The anxiety often times seems uncontrollable.. As much as I try not to fight it, to just accept the anxiety and not be afraid, I can't seem to control the negative thoughts. All the worries racing through my head seem to be absolutely uncontrollable, as hard as I try.

Have any of you suffered with this? I was told that your mind will eventually get tired and the anxiety will subside, but I feel like my uncontrollable negative thoughts are fueling my anxiety so it just WON'T go away. >.<

It often feels hopeless and the anxiety makes my world feel dark and dreary, even when outside in the sun... Is this a forever thing, or can this be treated with therapy and such? Xanax doesn't seem to stop the negative racing thoughts, but it does make me tired and sometimes helps me sleep.

---------- Post added at 20:28 ---------- Previous post was at 20:25 ----------

This anxiety is also accompanied by a constant need to be aware of and control my breathing. I think that this is a control issue, because I've heard that worry is a form of control.

Is it possible for you to screw up your autonomic nervous system, so that you're body won't breathe for you and you have to breathe manually now? Or is that just the anxiety talking.

chanebehanan
08-06-12, 05:55
half of this forum probably does

Dzt66
08-06-12, 06:32
When I'm having a bad week I do the same thing with my sleep. Just as I dose off I startle awake with a racing heart. Or I lay there and keep having tons of short bizzar dreams while sort of awake. Our poor minds need rest from the worry. But when I'm not having bad anxiety I sleep fine

waunder
08-06-12, 07:07
Yes happens to me all the time a good cry helps and meditation or relaxing music. Racing thoughts are a part of the anxiety symptoms.:)

terror-x
08-06-12, 07:43
Happens to me all the time don't worrie just relax yourself

BobbyDog
08-06-12, 11:47
I have these episodes where I have constant anxiety/panic, the ones at night are the worst, I got to the stage where, just as I was about to drop off, I would be jolted awake, churning stomach and negative thoughts.
My doctor gave me Amitriptyline to take along side My Mirtazapine, and things are a lot better.
Perhaps you should speak to your doctor about your current situation and ask him if he can give you some medication with a sedating effect, I don't know if you are taking other medication, it would probably depend on that.

I also do the control breathing thing all the time, sorry but I don't have any suggestions for that.

It is not possible to screw up your autonimic nervous system, when you are asleep you keep on breathing, its just that you have got into a bad habit due to your anxiety.:hugs:

LiveAboveIt
08-06-12, 20:39
Thanks for all the reassurance. Feels like my nervous system is all out of whack. Even the slightest worry sets off my anxiety, which is unusual. I'll see about getting on something to help with the anxiety. I take 15mg of adder all xr twice a day and I have an appointment on the 11th, so I'll talk to him about it then. Thanks again. Feels better that I'm not alone. Feels like I'm going crazy sometimes.

xvolatileheart
09-06-12, 17:31
I can relate to every single word you wrote 100%. You worded it perfectly about how it feels uncontrollable and hopeless. That is how I feel everyday. It's all I think about from the moment I wake up. And when I do start to feel a little bit better, I will have a panic attack out of nowhere.

I still have hope that it will get better with time and therapy.

Sending you good wishes. :)