PDA

View Full Version : Meal times

Elle-Kay
08-06-12, 16:50
After starting this week so badly, I've been feeling a bit brighter since yesterday thanks to my GP's assurances and proactiveness. I'm still finding that I'm worst at mealtimes though. I'm managing only a handful of mouthfuls before I start getting antzy. Usually I have a really good appetite, but at the moment it seems to be that when my subconscious realises that I've eaten something it triggers the anxiety, and my stomach clenches so I can't eat anymore. I had approx 75% of a fishcake in a bun from the chip shop for lunch (I know, not healthy, but seeing as I'm having issues eating I'm allowing myself to have what I fancy!), and I've just had a (homemade) chocolate brownie, but when I noticed that I had only 1-2 bites of that left the anxious stomach-clenching feelings started again :wacko:

Does anyone have any advice please? I have lost nearly half a stone in weight already since work became stressful (and I'm only a size 8 to start with), and I can't afford to become permanently anxious at meal times.

Lousicle
08-06-12, 17:12
I can totally relate!
My anxiety levels go through the roof when it's meal time , I have a phobia of being sick and for some reason my mind has linked the two together , I just reassure myself and if I feel myself tensing up I MAKE the muscles relax , breathe deeply for a minutes or so & continue eating , I've found reading something or watching the tv while eating helps because the mind is focused on that rather than the food.

I've found that putting the subtitles on the tv helps (I know it's weird) because then I'm watching tv but reading the subtitles at the same time & my mind doesn't have time to think about the food.
Hope I helped :)

---------- Post added at 17:12 ---------- Previous post was at 17:11 ----------

Also , I make sure I'm comfortable when eating , & like u said eat what you feel like eating & eat when u want to eat not at set times , be flexible it all helps.

Elle-Kay
08-06-12, 20:07
Thank-you for your reply :) I took your advice and my husband and I did a crossword this evening while we were eating. The crossword allowed me to stop and gather myself together when I started feeling a bit anxious, then distract myself and carry on, and although it was slower I did manage to eat most of my dinner - 80% rather than the 25% I've been eating this week - so I'm happier with that :)

Lousicle
08-06-12, 20:35
So glad I could help! :) well done u! Bet u feel a lot better with some food inside u aswel.
We can beat this , stay positive :)

davexdurham
10-06-12, 08:45
I havent been eating alot lately either and lost some weight. (due to feeling down with a break up) But yeah I get alot of anxiety around food but its mostly eating out Im usually fine at home bar the odd occasion!

PanchoGoz
10-06-12, 10:38
I'm similar, I never finish my food. It's just a habit from childhood, there's always something left, however small, on my plate. Anxiety makes me eat very fast or nothing, part of the fight or flight response.

Elle-Kay
11-06-12, 20:39
Well I'm happy to report that I'm getting gradually better. I ate 90% of my dinner tonight, and have just tucked into a big slice of homemade rhubarb upside down cake for pudding :) I've been invited out for dinner on Thursday, which might be a challenge too far this week, but we'll see....